Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

carbon fiber hood or fiberglass hood????

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:26 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Default carbon fiber hood or fiberglass hood????

i want to replace my factory hood, but i m not sure which one i should go , i have heard the fiber glass is less weight than the carbon fiber, and the carbon fiber has someproblem when rainning...any idea? btw i m looking for a classic hood design for my car. such as eleanor( correct me if i m wrond lol, long time no see the movie)
Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Your Mustang should have a fiberglass hood already, at least the New Edges do...
Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

does 09 mustang GT/CS has carbonfiber glass?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

The 05 and up mustangs come from the factory with an Aluminum hood. This is, I believe, generally lighter than the aftermarket fiberglass hoods. The carbon fiber hoods would be lighter still than the Aluminum. If you want something 'classic' an 'Eleanor' hood is pretty far from the mark. There's a few hoods that emulate the 67/68 Shelby hoods which would fit, and there's a fiberglass 68GT style heat extractor hood that scores big 'classic' points. All the ones I've seen are fiberglass. I'm not quite sure what's available in carbon fiber other than some of the rice-y junk.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 AM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
The 05 and up mustangs come from the factory with an Aluminum hood. This is, I believe, generally lighter than the aftermarket fiberglass hoods. The carbon fiber hoods would be lighter still than the Aluminum. If you want something 'classic' an 'Eleanor' hood is pretty far from the mark. There's a few hoods that emulate the 67/68 Shelby hoods which would fit, and there's a fiberglass 68GT style heat extractor hood that scores big 'classic' points. All the ones I've seen are fiberglass. I'm not quite sure what's available in carbon fiber other than some of the rice-y junk.
i don't get it, if alum is lighter than fiberglass, why they does not put on the gt500kr, but an fiberglass hood?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

The GT500KR gets a carbon fiber hood, not fiberglass. Carbon fiber is the lightest you're going to find for body panels.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

ok, i check with the website, it is carbon fiber with plastic surface....i just want one like that on my 09 gt, i think it is alot of money? anyway, anybody know where i can get this for my GT? painted carbon fiber hood?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

I have a fiberglas hood with the ram air and it is heavy as hell, but I wouldnt trade it because it makes the look I was going for. the stock hood weighed maybe 10 pounds if that. Make sure you get a good quality hood or your gonna regret that cheap price. Make sure you see someone at a show or somewhere so you can get an idea of how it will look and hold up. nothing is worse then a flimsey hood ripplin when you pass someone. enjoy your car
Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ybnormal
I have a fiberglas hood with the ram air and it is heavy as hell, but I wouldnt trade it because it makes the look I was going for. the stock hood weighed maybe 10 pounds if that. Make sure you get a good quality hood or your gonna regret that cheap price. Make sure you see someone at a show or somewhere so you can get an idea of how it will look and hold up. nothing is worse then a flimsey hood ripplin when you pass someone. enjoy your car
wow, thank you ybnormal. i think one thing that concerned me is whether i should chose a ram air functional hood which made of alum or carbon fiber hood, because both have their own pros and cons. the alum one give me the gt500kr look on my GT, and the carbon fiber is less weight, and they also look good. but i do not know if both will have problem during rainny day cuz i heard alot cons about carbon fiber when rainny, i m not sure if the ram air hood will have the same problem....any idea?