Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Impressions after Underdrive Pulley install

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

For guys like me who, right or wrong, have committed to stay naturally aspirated - every 5 HP counts.

The one thing I really noticed after my Steeda UDP install was that the car rev'd higher on startup before it came back down to idle than it had with the stock piece.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Bluebeast77

Pulleys alone will not give you great gains. They are designed to reduce drag on the engine. When combined with other mods it will show some benefit.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:09 PM
2006Boss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bluebeast77
Pulleys alone will not give you great gains. They are designed to reduce drag on the engine. When combined with other mods it will show some benefit.
+1 on that comment...
Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bluebeast77
+2

The free-up from UDP's is minimal (~3-6 RWHP) but there nontheless. Most "butt dynos" won't notice it. I'm not sure that I'd expect to feel it but that wouldn't stop me from adding them at some point. After a CAI & tune on a NA engine, the 3 RWHP here, 6 RWHP there is mostly all that's left beyond nitrous and cams. Combination mods (i.e. cams with LT's) will knock your socks off like the CAI & tune. Minor mods add up. Someone with UDP's, delete plates and an aluminum DS (with all else being equal) can certainly smile harder.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:03 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
+2

The free-up from UDP's is minimal (~3-6 RWHP) but there nontheless. Most "butt dynos" won't notice it. I'm not sure that I'd expect to feel it but that wouldn't stop me from adding them at some point. After a CAI & tune on a NA engine, the 3 RWHP here, 6 RWHP there is mostly all that's left beyond nitrous and cams. Combination mods (i.e. cams with LT's) will knock your socks off like the CAI & tune. Minor mods add up. Someone with UDP's, delete plates and an aluminum DS (with all else being equal) can certainly smile harder.

Good point Nuke...........its the sum of the mods working together.

patrick
Old 10-21-2009, 12:34 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

yeah, but why pay 400 for udps and delete plates when you can pay 500 for nitrous, run a conservative 50 shot and gain 4 times more power and 10 times more torque
Old 10-21-2009, 02:51 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

On a side note, I would love to hear what those pacesetter cans sound like, are they turbo style or chambered.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

When I get the Steeda/Whipple belt drive I will add the Steeda UDP's (even if I notice no change in HP) I never use my A/C anyway but should I want to....I know it will draw less power to turn the A/C compressor....and free up the S/C compressor in the process (dedicated belt from crank pulley to S/C pulley)....2 birds with 2 mods....sounded better before I wrote it....
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

This thread rose from the dead on it's own. Seems Halloween's just around the corner.

Originally Posted by hardcore302
On a side note, I would love to hear what those pacesetter cans sound like, are they turbo style or chambered.
Turbo styled, by the looks of the product pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNkTSPYvNfw

This is the ONLY recording of pacesetter stuff on an S197 I've found on all the internet. I really wanted my car to sound like this, but PS never got around to manufacturing the stuff, it seems. I went with the tried and true combo of American Racing Headers and Borla.

I guess I'll add a little more input on the pulleys since I'm here.

It's been six months with them on, and I haven't had a single issue with them. A/C works fine. Factory HID's work fine.
Something I never mentioned before was that at WOT, as the car shifts, the RPMs don't drop as low as they used to on the next gear. My car is an auto, so I could really tell the difference since the shifting is always the same, at the same speed/rpm point. It kinda feels like your tranny is slipping, but it is not. (or so I hope)
Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I def noticed the quicker revs-especially in neutral

Quick Reply: Impressions after Underdrive Pulley install