Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Found A New Tuner Option

Old 06-05-2009, 11:54 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by dkersten
Probably a resistor for the IAT to fool the engine to thing the air coming in is cooler and run more timing, giving you more power and better economy, right up until your intake air is actually hot, and your engine pings and then pulls timing, at which point you lose power and possibly damage the engine.

Save your money, there are only 2 things in a tune that increase horsepower: timing and AF ratio, and unless you run higher octane, you don't want to increase either, whether its by bypassing the IAT sensor or by changing fuel parameters with a custom tune.
+1 +2 +3 +4 ......
$25 for a $0.03 resistor to fool the IAT temp to the PCM.
Avoid it like the plague.
Its another eBay scam.
How about a link to their website other than eBay.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dkersten
Probably a resistor for the IAT to fool the engine to thing the air coming in is cooler and run more timing, giving you more power and better economy, right up until your intake air is actually hot, and your engine pings and then pulls timing, at which point you lose power and possibly damage the engine.

Save your money, there are only 2 things in a tune that increase horsepower: timing and AF ratio, and unless you run higher octane, you don't want to increase either, whether its by bypassing the IAT sensor or by changing fuel parameters with a custom tune.
Yep +1 B.S. Resistor trick. On our cars it WILL damage the engine. You should ask for a money back gurantee on the new engine you will be buying after you put their "tuner" on your car
Old 06-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by discusfan1963
Mine is on the way, so I will update you with the results. Hard to go wrong with a 25$ cost and a 30 day full money back guarantee. I would paste the text, but they have blocked the copy function. PM me if you want a link to see the site.
Mmm..yes, you can go VERY wrong for 25 bucks. 05+ mustangs are VERY sensitive to intake changes which is why a PROPER tune is required when you mess with something on the engine so simple as the diameter of the intake tube or in this case the resistance of the MAF.

When you throw a resistor (which is all that little black box contains) inline with the MAF you can damage the engine. You are basically telling the cars computer to alter the amount of fuel it provides to the combustion chamber based on false information. This alters your A/F ratio (air fuel ratio) and does not properly compensate the timing of the engines ignition system.

You can and will get everything from Pinging (metal bearing in a cofee can sound) from the engine, to knocking (a loud thudding sound) from the engine. Not only can this burn a hole into your pistons but it can damage the O2 sensors and burn out catalytic converters.

Soooo....you can go VERY wrong for $25. There's a reason reputable performance shops (like Bamachips, Breenspeed, American Muscle etc) do not offer such a simple inexpensive device and only on FleaBay will you find it. It doesn't work.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:40 PM
discusfan1963

Well, I'm convinced. Sending it back as soon as it arrives. It won't touch my motor now. Should have asked ya'll first. Last thing I want to do is hurt my pride and joy. Thanks for the honest input!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

nicely done discusfan, you didn't get
defensive as many would have, you
listened to the advice and made a very
wise decision.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM
discusfan1963

Thanks. What can I say, ask the experts and learn. That's why I'm here...........to learn. Being defensive only shows you don't really want to learn, but to be hard headed about your lack of knowledge. Thanks again for the honest input. I'm sure ya'll saved my motor from certain destruction. Time to start saving for a real tuner.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

brenspeed and lethal performance are
good examples of where to get a cai +
tuner combo.

the JLTII and C+L cai's are very popular.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:20 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Great decision. The adage "You get what you pay for" almost always turns out to be true.
You won't regret going with a tune.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Stay away from that ****.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:21 AM
discusfan1963

So here is the response from my questions based on ya'lls input.

Hello,

Yes, our products are indeed based on resistor(s), but they are very effective! If you look at a factory Service Manual and study how the Engine Control Module (ECM) interprets the factory IAT sensor, the operation is very simple. The factory IAT sensor is a thermistor - which is just a simple heat-sensitive resistor. The IAT sensor, a thermistor, is directly interfaced with the ECM and controls fuel and timing based on that thermistors resistance. Change the resistance of the IAT sensor using our product (which simply lowers the resistance, the same that the factory IAT sensor [thermistor] does) and the ECM interprets this and adjusts the fuel injection and/or timing (depending on the make/model). Simple - different fuel and timing means instant power and fuel consumption changes! These are VERY safe since your factory ECM handles all of the work - our products does not FORCE an adjustment, it merely 'suggests' it which will trigger the ECM to make the adjustment(s) if it feels that it's safe to do so - Ford definitely wouldn't let it's own factory ECM program itself into a state where damage could occur with all of today's built-in safeguards.

As always, we fully guarantee that you'll be completely happy with our products and that you'll see positive improvements either in performance and/or fuel economy in your vehicle, so please feel welcome to take advantage of our 100% Money-Back Guarantee and see how our products work out for you! As always, if you'd like to return it and obtain a FULL refund (we also reimburse all return shipment costs so that our customers are not out a single cent if they're not happy with it!), then please feel absolutely welcome to e-mail us and we'll send you the return instructions!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail us and we'll be happy to answer any questions that may arise!

Thank you,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found A New Tuner Option