Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best Prices for Superchargers or Turbo Kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:17 PM
GM EATER
2nd Gear Member

The best deal usually turns out to be the wrong decision. Words to live by.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

Turbohorsepower kits...single turbo kit is 4G but no Intercooler...extra 500
Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiteflash454
Turbohorsepower kits...single turbo kit is 4G but no Intercooler...extra 500
Turbohorsepower was really good to me when I was making my purchase, if I hadn't found my killer deal on my Hellion I would've bought from them, MANY people have good things to say about them.

At the same time I'll tell you Hellion makes a phenomenal kit. If you've lowered your car, don't get it, otherwise it's fantastic and their customer service is amazing.

HP I've heard ALOT of problems about fitment, etc. and them taking FOREVER to send anything.

I've also seen a few success's with the Turbonetics kit as well as the Impulse top-mount twin system. (expensive)

Also unless you plan to build your motor a 60-62mm turbo will do you just fine. You will have a terrible time spooling the 67 on the street and is just unnecessary on the track when a smaller one can get the job done.
Even if you plan to get a built shortblock or build your own it'd be better overall to just upgrade later.

Overall, Hellion or TBH will be your best bet for price but honestly I wouldn't rush it and end up having it cost more later on. Also you might want to replace the cams you've got, possibly the gears too. Or just make sure the cam you've got has a decent lift to it or do some research on what makes a good turbo cam. As for the gears if they're high(numerically) you won't be able to put the max load on the engine as fast as you would be able to with say 3.53's or so.

With your current setup you'd probably be happier with a supercharger. Paxton offers great kits at great prices, you can max out the stock internals safely, etc.
As for twin screws I really don't have any experience with installing/buying them I just know what everyone else knows lol. Saleen, Edlebrock, Whipple, etc.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

thanks that was actually pretty helpful vash , i really want turbo everyone has a S/C just wanna be different and I am lowered, yea the 60MM turbo will do just fine like you said. so your sayign the Hellion would be perfect for mine?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vashthe3rd
Turbohorsepower was really good to me when I was making my purchase, if I hadn't found my killer deal on my Hellion I would've bought from them, MANY people have good things to say about them.

At the same time I'll tell you Hellion makes a phenomenal kit. If you've lowered your car, don't get it, otherwise it's fantastic and their customer service is amazing.

HP I've heard ALOT of problems about fitment, etc. and them taking FOREVER to send anything.

I've also seen a few success's with the Turbonetics kit as well as the Impulse top-mount twin system. (expensive)

Also unless you plan to build your motor a 60-62mm turbo will do you just fine. You will have a terrible time spooling the 67 on the street and is just unnecessary on the track when a smaller one can get the job done.
Even if you plan to get a built shortblock or build your own it'd be better overall to just upgrade later.

Overall, Hellion or TBH will be your best bet for price but honestly I wouldn't rush it and end up having it cost more later on. Also you might want to replace the cams you've got, possibly the gears too. Or just make sure the cam you've got has a decent lift to it or do some research on what makes a good turbo cam. As for the gears if they're high(numerically) you won't be able to put the max load on the engine as fast as you would be able to with say 3.53's or so.

With your current setup you'd probably be happier with a supercharger. Paxton offers great kits at great prices, you can max out the stock internals safely, etc.
As for twin screws I really don't have any experience with installing/buying them I just know what everyone else knows lol. Saleen, Edlebrock, Whipple, etc.
Originally Posted by Whiteflash454
thanks that was actually pretty helpful vash , i really want turbo everyone has a S/C just wanna be different and I am lowered, yea the 60MM turbo will do just fine like you said. so your sayign the Hellion would be perfect for mine?
No, read. If lowered dont get it.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 AM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

Yes, do not use the Hellion system if your car is lowered.
I run stock springs and my front end looks lowered and I have to be careful. On lower springs I can only imagine how careful I'd have to be. The reason for this is because of the combination of 2 things:

1) The large amount of piping. Hellions system has a bit more metal and thus more weight in the front
2) The feed and downpipes for the hotside of the turbo go under the K-member
This means that the pipes sit low, and then the car is slightly lowered due to extra weight. A combination which has brought about a few dented/bent pipes from people who just got careless.

Hope that helps.