Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI not for automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:29 AM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Default CAI not for automatics?

I just picked up a 06 GT from our local dealer who says they will not install a KN CAI in my automatic stating it will kick the check enging light on.[ not standereds however ] I called KN and they say a well adjusted motor will have no issues. does anyone know anything about this? Also what would you say is the best bang for the buck, tuner or CAI. I have exhast and transgo reprogammer which by the way I would not recommend as a daily driver add on. any movement under 4k on the tack you really don't notice and not worth the $ 700 I gave the dealer who said I would sleep in my car just to be near the tranny I would like it that much....Mahalo for your input

Gil
Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Go with a CAI and tune combo from Brenspeed or Bamachips ($600 - $700). And yes, you can install them on automatic transmission equiped cars with no problems.

Some dealers push cheap aftermarket products at huge mark-ups - try to get your money back since you are not happy with the product. Use the search option on this site to research whatever mod you are looking to do.

I joined this site 6 months before I bought my Mustang so I would know what I wanted to do when I got it. Mustang Forums is a great resource!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Of course you can put a CAI on an automatic equipped car. Most require a tune to run properly though. My Granatelli CAI didn't need a tune but I eventially got a tune anyway for more power. There are many owners with CAI's on their automatic Mustangs on this site including mine. Find a different dealer immediately.

Welcome to Mustang Forums.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

WFT is a transgo reprogammer...
Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed or Bama. You'll pickup roughly 15-25 or more RWHP. The tune is about 80% of the power adder.

Be aware that the installation of aftermarket seat covers will prevent your car from starting (j/k)...
Old 06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

LOL some dealers have there heads up there ****!

My Auto does quite well with a CAI and tune, besides typically an Auto gains more from a tune then a manual because the shift points and firmness are changed giving the auto a much more aggressive shift pattern then stock
Old 06-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Yes, definitely get a CAI and tuner combo from BAMA Chips or Brenspeed. Being an automatic you should go with BAMA Chips, as they really know how to work with the autos.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:07 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingman75
Of course you can put a CAI on an automatic equipped car. Most require a tune to run properly though. My Granatelli CAI didn't need a tune but I eventially got a tune anyway for more power. There are many owners with CAI's on their automatic Mustangs on this site including mine. Find a different dealer immediately.

Welcome to Mustang Forums.
Ditto and exactly my thought right there....
Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

dude.. without the CAI/Tune, the auto really isn't any fun- at all lol.

Get the CAI,tune and gears.. you won't regret it.

(-:
Old 06-20-2009, 07:32 AM
kidnizmo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1 on the CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed or Bama. You'll pickup roughly 15-25 or more RWHP. The tune is about 80% of the power adder.

Be aware that the installation of aftermarket seat covers will prevent your car from starting (j/k)...
+2 i have an auto GT was tuned by PSI performance in Pennsylvania not 3 miles from Pennstate University. Dynoed 287hp 297ft/lbs... it had C&L Racer Cai w/velocity Mass Air sensor, bassani x pipe with hi flows and GTAs...absoultey nothing else done has been done!

i have since removed the gtas and x pipe, gone back to stock h and magna flow deletes...havent driven the car in some time but i assume it lost a little hp but tq may still be the same as it lacked back pressure with the prior setup, those darn seat covers

Quick Reply: CAI not for automatics?