Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Power steering pump noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 PM
donhall

Default Power steering pump noise

'06 - 4.6L V8 - vert - 6K miles. Search feature not helpful.

Noise (slight) just started only when turning the wheel, which leads me to the steering pump. Fluid is at the proper level.

Any history of steering pump failures for the '06 model?

tks..... don
Old 06-26-2009, 11:26 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Well, there's a normal noise that occurs when you put force against the pump. It is a very small whining noise. It should be the same sound in either direction.

An abnormal noise would be a hissing sound (leak) or a low roar (bearing).
Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 AM
donhall

Default steering pump "noise"

Just passing along some basic info for others that may have steering pump noise:

Power steering noise

When the fluid is low and you add some ... it still needs more after you run it for awhile. The reason for that is that the pump pumps the fluid through the lines and gets out the air in them. Keep filling and checking after you start the car and turn the wheel from side to side all the way.

* The bigger question is why do you need to add fluid? After you locate and fix that leak, you can address the whine. If it is a Ford, it may be somewhat normal. Like Drazi said, "It may be air trapped in the line." Or the pump may be damaged from running it dry, or there is blge in the line, starving the pump. Let's assume you have kept up on the maintenance and have flushed the fluid when it was dirty. Let's also assume that the pump is not damaged and you have found and fixed any leaks. Try this: pull the fluid out of the reservior and add one bottle of Lucas brand power steering additive, and top with power steering fluid. I have found this stuff pretty good at resolving many power steering problems. I'm not a big supporter of "Snake Oil", but have had good luck with it.

* well" if it's a ford it's because they use plastic parts in there casing's. most other car company's do the same. if that's not the case, then your pump is reciving too much stress from turning. try lubing up the chasis and changing the fluid completly. it wouldnt hurt to check your line's ether. sometime's blockage can cause too much stress on the pump too.

* First thing is why are you adding

fluid. If it has a leak then i would address that problem first. A pump will not bleed out if it is leaking. If every thing seems to be okay and your pump still whines. Then replace the pump. Note my advice is replace the pump with a new one from the dealer. These so called rebuilt pumps that you buy from places like autozone o'rielys ect.. Are cheaply rebuilt. Especialy if it's a ford. They don't bleed out right improper pump pressures. A good pump will bleed out almost imediatly.With the turn of the wheel a few times. If it doesn't then your pump will more than likely never completly bleed out. Buy a pump from the dealer it cost more but if your like me and don't like the noise then it's worth it.

* You probably have air trapped in the system. Bleed the air out by revving the engine to about 1500-2000 rpms and turning the steering wheel almost all the way from one side to the other a few times. This should bleed out the air and take care of your problem.

* If the noise is similar to that of a dry bearing, then the problem probably revolves around the power-steering pump itself. If the noise you hear has a "click, click, click" to it when making turns in your vehicle, then the problem is more-than-likely your CV joints. If the noise is screeching, check your belt for wear-and-tear and proper tension (see owner's manual).

I just wanted to add another two cents about the topic of bleeding or burping the power-steering system:

1. Know what type of power-steering fluid is needed for your car. Some power-steering pumps can use automatic transmission fluid, others have specific power-steering fluid for each car i.e. Honda requires and suggests that you use Honda's brand power-steering fluid (see owner's manual). Make sure you know, or the warranty from the dealership or from the parts store may be voided.

2. Before attaching the power-steering belt, fill pump with required amount and type of fluid, (see owner's manual) and turn the pulley wheel by hand a few times. This helps cut down on dry turns before they can happen. If more power-steering fluid is needed fill accordingly.

3. Attach the power-steering belt with proper amount of tension (see owner's manual).

4. Turn vehicle on and proceed to turn the steering-wheel all-the-way right and left 3-4 times.

5. Turn the vehicle off and examine that the belt tension is acceptable, and again check the level of fluid and fill accordingly.

6. Always, always check your owner's manual before performing any maintenance on your vehicle. An educated car owner is a safe car owner!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
donhall

Originally Posted by socalwrench
Well, there's a normal noise that occurs when you put force against the pump. It is a very small whining noise. It should be the same sound in either direction.

An abnormal noise would be a hissing sound (leak) or a low roar (bearing).
Thanks for the response, socalwrench. The noise is consistent with your "small whining noise", but it has not been present until recently (wife's car). When she first noticed the noise, I checked the fluid reservoir only to find the cap was not secured tightly, but there was no evidence of a spill out of the top. I added some fluid to the max/min markers, and the noise disappeared for about a week, and just returned. Fluid level has not changed. As you suggest, the noise is minor, and would not be heard over a little radio volume. My only concern is if the pump is "telling" me it is failing. From some brief research, I read that Ford steering pumps have components that are susceptible to failure.

I am just seeking info on past experiences with steering pumps. The car was purchased new in 02/07, so I am assuming the pump would be under warranty.