Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Has anyone installed a Vortech S/C along with Steeda UDP's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

Default Has anyone installed a Vortech S/C along with Steeda UDP's?

Due to poor planning on my part, I am now stuck with a bit of a dilemma. I've recently grown VERY interested in purchasing a Vortech V-3 HO system, but as my sig reads, I have Steeda underdrive pulleys on. From what I've read, if I put the supercharger on, it will output less boost due to the pulleys "underdriving" the charger. I honestly don't want to get rid of the UDP's. It would be hard enough to have to part with the CAI as it is.

Is it possible to run a smaller Vortech pulley to compensate for the UDP's less rotational speed? How hard would it be to get it tuned? Has any of the "mainstream" tuners (bama, brenspeed, vmp, etc) been faced with this situation before?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

Why would it be hard to part with a cai or the under drive pulleys? If they seriously mean that much to you then just dont do a s/c.

Just sale them to help pay for the s/c.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 AM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

You're gonna spend crazy money on a supercharger and cripple it out of the box? Unless you want 10% less power out of your supercharger, you need to go back to your stock pulleys. I'm having a hard time figuring out why you wouldn't.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

Go easy on me, guys. I just figured maybe it would be possible to have the best of both worlds. Have the benefits of less accessory drag from the UDP's and still have the blower put down 7-9 PSI of boost with a smaller pulley.

Like I said, I wasn't planning on going F/I in the first place but ever since I've added the UDP's, Charge Plates, SLP's, etc, I've felt what this car is capable of. I have tasted the power, and now I want more! You all know how it goes...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

You can change either pulley to get the boost level you desire. I suggest calling Vortech.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:11 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

But underdrive pulleys only provide less parasitic drag on a stock system. Add the supercharger and all bets are off because you change the whole system by adding in another pulley and several inches of length to the belt.

Furthermore, the S/C pulleys are sized to make the impeller spin at certain RPMs assuming the stock crank and accessory pulleys... change that and you may cause the impeller to spin more than you want it to.

It's like getting 20" wheels and wanting to keep your 18" tires.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus
Go easy on me, guys. I just figured maybe it would be possible to have the best of both worlds. Have the benefits of less accessory drag from the UDP's and still have the blower put down 7-9 PSI of boost with a smaller pulley.

Like I said, I wasn't planning on going F/I in the first place but ever since I've added the UDP's, Charge Plates, SLP's, etc, I've felt what this car is capable of. I have tasted the power, and now I want more! You all know how it goes...
i dont want a sc unless i had a built motor. running good n/a times mean more to me.

for example a local guy who has a magnacharger and ive run all most a second faster than him in the 1/4 mile lol
Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 PM
vertigyn
1st Gear Member

Lose the UDP's...they aren't worth it. When I installed my Kenne Bell I forgot that I had UDP's on my car. When we put her on the dyno to start the tuning - she was only making 2ibs of boost!!! So we figured it out and put stock pullies back on the car. She bumped up to the 8.5 ibs of boost she was supposed to be making....

Trust me - you'll enjoy the power adder a lot more than any CAI or UDP mods you have....no comparison!

I mean...if you have the money and can rebuild your engine with forged internals - that's always good too...but the s/c is probably a cheaper and easier way to get in the FUN ZONE with your car =) Just don't put too much boost to it or you'll break your bottom end and be forced to do a stronger build.

Personally, I went with the s/c and figured I'd enjoy it until it breaks my engine and then I'll rebuild the engine...it's been since August so far, and life has been very good and I can't help but smile every time I drive my s/c'd Mach!!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus
Due to poor planning on my part, I am now stuck with a bit of a dilemma. I've recently grown VERY interested in purchasing a Vortech V-3 HO system, but as my sig reads, I have Steeda underdrive pulleys on. From what I've read, if I put the supercharger on, it will output less boost due to the pulleys "underdriving" the charger. I honestly don't want to get rid of the UDP's. It would be hard enough to have to part with the CAI as it is.

Is it possible to run a smaller Vortech pulley to compensate for the UDP's less rotational speed? How hard would it be to get it tuned? Has any of the "mainstream" tuners (bama, brenspeed, vmp, etc) been faced with this situation before?

Thanks.
Im in the same boat as you. Call vortech and maybe they will lead you to the right direction. Then let me know what they say THanks.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
Im in the same boat as you. Call vortech and maybe they will lead you to the right direction. Then let me know what they say THanks.
Or he could just read all of the replies here.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a Vortech S/C along with Steeda UDP's?