Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Alternator dying (bad diode) causing P0340

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Default Alternator dying (bad diode) causing P0340

So, last weekend I was on vacation and on my way home and my CEL came on. When I got back I threw my code reader on, and got P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Bank A Circuit Malfunction. Did a little reading, and found it's often caused by EMI from a dying alternator. Wonderful. So, I go to my Local parts store, have them throw their diagnostic tool on it, and sure enough bad diode reading.

So, time to swap an alternator at 43,000 miles. Joy. Of course, they don't have it in stock, and it's special order only. And they can't get a price until they special order it, and they can't special order it until Monday. So, I'm thinking of taking it to an alternator shop (or possibly the dealership down the street) and having them re-build it.

Couple questions for those of you that have had this problem. First, could you get a dealership or alternator shop to rebuild it? If so, what was the cost and turnaround time. It's my only car, so it'd have to be something I could wait around on. If there was no one around who could rebuild it, where did you get a replacement from, was it a Motorcraft part, or aftermarket, and what was the cost. And have you had any problems since? Finally I'm in Houston, TX so if anyone here has had this issue, your input would be most highly appreciated.

From my understanding I've got about another week or so to get this taken car of before I'm liable to get stranded somewhere from the alternator failing completely, so I'd like to get it taken care of... but I'm in the middle of paying for a wedding, and this is just totally **** timing for having to shell out more money and would like to do it on the cheap (so much so as is possible with an alternator).

Any help or information you guys may have would be greatly appreciated. It's a little too late to call around to dealers or I'm sure independent alternator shops today, but I'm off Mondays, so I'll be able to work on it then.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Blazing Saddles

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories

Old 06-28-2009, 05:51 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Same code happened to me. I ran the car on it for about a month or so with the code and it was fine, never died on me or anything. I found a replacement alternator on eBay for $50... but that was a lucky find. The $130 one is a good deal too.