Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bucks in 1st gear when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If it's a manual everyone I've owned can be a little touchy in first gear rolling slow if the car is cold.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

It is driving me nuts, I just can't believe there is no solution to combat this. HAHA. Just tell me that this is what to expect as long as I have the S/C on.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

Even N/A it will happen. I didnt have a problem until installing my HR cams though. The best advice has already been said, just let it warm up before you start to drive off. You dont have to wait 10-15mins, just long enough to heat the cats (for those people that still have them) and warm the oil up. You think yours is bad? get on the Triumph SpeedFour forums and read how bad it is for some of them, even when it would warm up it still tried to throw me off. Until I got used to it I looked like I was just learning how to use a clutch, it was funny to everybody but me.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OSUTX440
It is driving me nuts, I just can't believe there is no solution to combat this. HAHA. Just tell me that this is what to expect as long as I have the S/C on.
The solution is in the tune. Mine does it pretty bad too. But my motor is built and i listen to the tuner when he tells me to be patient when I start the car up.

Every quality tuner I know will have the tune set to have the car be a little sluggish on start up. Some tuners retard the cold based timing tables to make sure when you start your car up you don't hit the gas and take off with a cold engine. It's their insurance to prevent you from hurting your motor when it's cold.

I usuaully wait until my idle settles down and I see the temp gauge move a little.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:15 AM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all your input guys. And Simon, that makes perfect sense since I just put on the S/Cer.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:29 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

I have this problem but it is worse than just a little bucking.. it seriously bogs down and misfires at low to mid throttle when cold. Once it is completely warmed up, the problem goes away. That, unfortunately, takes 10-15 minutes, or about 4-8 minutes if I drive it. Been troubleshooting the problem for some time, and yes, it is running very rich at cold run. However, the AF gauge shows it leaning out when it is bogging. I am thinking this is because it is going so rich that unburnt fuel and air is entering the exhaust and the wideband O2 is showing lots of oxygen, so it reads lean. Datalogging shows the LTFT shooting up to 18-26 when cold. This makes little sense because the tuner at KB tells me that LTFT doesn't come into play until closed loop, but it is acting like it dumps way too much fuel when cold. I found a major vacuum leak last night in the supercharger and fixed it, and a smoke test shows no more leaks, but still doing the same thing.

When warm, idle will hunt from 300-1200 rpm when coming off throttle, then settle in to the 750 mark.

I don't even move the car until idle comes down. I have been discussing this in another thread here (thread was started by someone with a very similar problem), and have been working with KB for 6 weeks. They say it is NOT normal and there is definitely a mechanical problem. I don't know if the rich cold run is actually the problem, or even a symptom of the problem.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 PM
06GTMustang
1st Gear Member

When I started to notice mine doing it, it really freaked me out. I thought I was doing something wrong I had broke something and didn't know it. So one at the ford dealer near here I asked one of the shop guys about. He used my VIN, year model and something else to pull up a trouble call sheet thingy. On the sheet it had a list of things that were being reported back to ford as things going wrong and trouble shooting tips to help with it. I have the list and bucking at cold start, slow throttle response, all kinds of stuff. One of the answers for this problem is to reset your car back to factory tune, unplug your engine battery for 10 mins, let the car run for a sec (on factory tune) then reprogram the turner, a long with cleaning out your throttle body and stuff. I did that to mine and it worked. I haven't had any real problems with it sense. Not sure if this helps.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

It does get annoying I've noticed, so I let my car run idle until it drops from 1250 to 750, it's better then but still bucks until at least 2 min of running time.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
I have this problem but it is worse than just a little bucking.. it seriously bogs down and misfires at low to mid throttle when cold. Once it is completely warmed up, the problem goes away. That, unfortunately, takes 10-15 minutes, or about 4-8 minutes if I drive it. Been troubleshooting the problem for some time, and yes, it is running very rich at cold run. However, the AF gauge shows it leaning out when it is bogging. I am thinking this is because it is going so rich that unburnt fuel and air is entering the exhaust and the wideband O2 is showing lots of oxygen, so it reads lean. Datalogging shows the LTFT shooting up to 18-26 when cold. This makes little sense because the tuner at KB tells me that LTFT doesn't come into play until closed loop, but it is acting like it dumps way too much fuel when cold. I found a major vacuum leak last night in the supercharger and fixed it, and a smoke test shows no more leaks, but still doing the same thing.

When warm, idle will hunt from 300-1200 rpm when coming off throttle, then settle in to the 750 mark.

I don't even move the car until idle comes down. I have been discussing this in another thread here (thread was started by someone with a very similar problem), and have been working with KB for 6 weeks. They say it is NOT normal and there is definitely a mechanical problem. I don't know if the rich cold run is actually the problem, or even a symptom of the problem.
Is this a custom tune or canned?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06GTMustang
When I started to notice mine doing it, it really freaked me out. I thought I was doing something wrong I had broke something and didn't know it. So one at the ford dealer near here I asked one of the shop guys about. He used my VIN, year model and something else to pull up a trouble call sheet thingy. On the sheet it had a list of things that were being reported back to ford as things going wrong and trouble shooting tips to help with it. I have the list and bucking at cold start, slow throttle response, all kinds of stuff. One of the answers for this problem is to reset your car back to factory tune, unplug your engine battery for 10 mins, let the car run for a sec (on factory tune) then reprogram the turner, a long with cleaning out your throttle body and stuff. I did that to mine and it worked. I haven't had any real problems with it sense. Not sure if this helps.

I haven't done this, but a few have had success following a procedure in cleaning the TB, solving their surging issue.

Quick Reply: Bucks in 1st gear when cold?