Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bama Tune Observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default Bama Tune Observations

I know this topic has been beat to death so the only reason I'm posting is to save someone $50 on a tune they won't like...

1st: tunable mods = steeda cold air, 4:10 gears, cmcv delete
other exhaust path mods: jba shorty, pypes x w/hi flow cats, flow master

First, I ordered the 93 torque tune. Honestly, I don't like anything about this tune. This is just a subjective comment and nothing against Bama because I really like their 93 race tune. The torque tune for me had soft throttle response (as advertised) and more power 3k and below (as advertised). I just couldn't believe how it dropped off at 3k.

Anyway, hope this helps save someone else some $$$ in the future. The race tune brings everything together big time...even quited down the X pipe a hair. At this point I've done everything I can do without FI, cams, nitrous and other mods not recommended for 149,000 miles.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 AM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

You have a 147,000 miles...wow, thought I was bad because my '05 just turned 49k. I have that BAMA 93 torque and race and they both have their applications. For in town driving (red light to red light) the torque is great especially when you line up against someone having that power down low is perfect. Now if you going to hit highway, interstate, or over 60mph I would run the RACE tune.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 AM
spe88

I use the 93 torque on long highway trips since I never run over 3k for a period of time. This tune gives me the best mileage of 28-29 miles per gallon. The 93 Race is my DD and is definitely worth the $50. I still get pretty good mileage on the highway (26 mpg). I don't think I have ever owned a car with 147,000 miles on it.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:39 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

2006 w/130,000 (120 per day DD) and nearly all the 'Bama tunes. I like some better than others, and like others have said, each has it place in my line up - 93 Race in my DD preferrence if noone else will be driving the car (93 Torque for the wife, 87 Performance for my Dad, etc...).
Old 07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

You let other people drive you car...my wife is only allowed to look and get naked in my car!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:11 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I miss my Bama race tune. The brenspeed tune I have now is not as powerful as the Bama tune. The only problem with the Bama tune was that the speedo was off on it... I had it on for 4 months until I realized there was a problem, it ended up being 20 mph under the actual speed. On the good note, I was getting 19.9 mpg lol. No wonder, I was driving so slow thinking I was going the speed limit.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

You 25+ mpg people....have you ever actually measured your mpg? Forget what that computer is telling you.

Fill up your tank. Reset your odometer. Drive until the tank is nearly empty. Fill up the tank. Make a note of how many gallons it took to fill it up. Miles driven divided by gallons required for fillup = mpg. Get back to me....

In the ~year I've had my car, I consistently get 19mpg with 50-50 highway/city driving. On a long road trip (highway), I got like 21-22mpg.

This has pretty much been the case with the stock tune, Bama tune, and a VMP tune. I'm not believing anybody without some kind of economy tune is actually scaring 30mpg.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by spe88
I use the 93 torque on long highway trips since I never run over 3k for a period of time. This tune gives me the best mileage of 28-29 miles per gallon. The 93 Race is my DD and is definitely worth the $50. I still get pretty good mileage on the highway (26 mpg). I don't think I have ever owned a car with 147,000 miles on it.
This is the first car I've had with over 55,000 miles. I'm right at 149,000 with no issues to date - stock clutch
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
46Power

Smile

Originally Posted by shanec
You 25+ mpg people....have you ever actually measured your mpg? Forget what that computer is telling you.

Fill up your tank. Reset your odometer. Drive until the tank is nearly empty. Fill up the tank. Make a note of how many gallons it took to fill it up. Miles driven divided by gallons required for fillup = mpg. Get back to me....

In the ~year I've had my car, I consistently get 19mpg with 50-50 highway/city driving. On a long road trip (highway), I got like 21-22mpg.

This has pretty much been the case with the stock tune, Bama tune, and a VMP tune. I'm not believing anybody without some kind of economy tune is actually scaring 30mpg.
My stock 08 Mustang GT regularly gets 24-27 mpg on a 40/60 city/highway split, driving normally on 87 octain. This figure is calculated at the pump (Same station, same pump) miles divided by gallons. In my experience the trip computer displays about 1.2 mpg high pretty consistently. On all highway runs I have broken the 30 mpg mark (driving like a grandmother) Car now has 49,xxx miles on it and an overall average for the life of the car is hovering around 24.5 mpg.

I can't wait until funds permit me to get an intake and Bama tunes I'm hoping to see my milage increase along with an increase in power. Though with better throttle response I may end up having too much fun and dropping that mpg number a few points, after all it is a mustang and I didn't buy it for its fuel economy. Mustang wasn't supposed to be my daily, it just happens to get way better economy than my Cheorkee.
Pictured below all highway run averaging about 75-80ish mph almost 400 miles to the tank and a pump calculated 28.5 mpg.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Default stoichiometry used in chemical reactions

Originally Posted by 46Power
In my experience the trip computer displays about 1.2 mpg high pretty consistently. On all highway runs I have broken the 30 mpg mark (driving like a grandmother)
Here is an interesting factoid not many consumers are aware of. When you purchase gasoline, the pump dispenses the product based on volume. But the computer in the car, by means of its sensors and computer burns it based on stoichiometry. Due to thermal expansion, consumers are being short changed if the temperature of the gasoline is above 60 degrees F. You make out if the gas is colder. Could it be that this is the reason that my info center displays one value for gas used where as the pump reports some X value different? For example. Info center says 10.8 gallons put the station pump reports 11.3?

Quick Reply: Bama Tune Observations