Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What are the best long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
asupplee

Default What are the best long tube headers

I have a 2007 GT with a Whipple 10psi intercooled SC, 3:73 rear gears with Borla axle backs

I want to install headers and a new X pipe.

Whose headers and what will it do to my current tune
Old 08-07-2009, 04:43 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

given the fact that i don't have any myself, i read around these forums mostly BBK or hooker. i haven't really heard of anymore than that. i'm interested on the response as well.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the best would be Kooks or ARH.
installing them will get a little more hp, it may also lower boost 1-2 psi, but thats a good thing bc your engine will be more efficient.
it may also cause you to run a little leaner a/f with the same tune.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:15 PM
asupplee

Thanks - I was looking at Kooks

Hey something else - I am new to this and I want to put pics of my car in my signature
do you know how to do this
Old 08-07-2009, 07:39 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by asupplee
Thanks - I was looking at Kooks

Hey something else - I am new to this and I want to put pics of my car in my signature
do you know how to do this
just use an image hosting site like photobucket and link the image you want into your sig by using the User CP in the upper left corner of the page.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I have ARH LTs and I think they are pretty good. I haven't had any other headers, so I can't compare. Real Street Performance told me I made a good choice, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the name brands. Some of the less expensive LTs may have some fitment issues. My ARHs went in perfectly, but you do pay a little more. I have heard that Kook's LTs aren't 'real' LTs, but I can't say for certain.

As for tuning, my car is N/A and can be run without a change in tune. I got a email tune from Brenspeed that accounts for the LTs. With being F/I, I can't really say, but my guess would be to get a retune.

Also, I have Borla stingers and an O/R X. It trumpets at 2500 rpms and drones just the same as before. I'm getting Pypes mid-mufflers installed next week, and that should be a good sound with minimal drone. If you get LTs and an X pipe, you just might wanna plan on get a new set of mufflers as well...

Last edited by JasperGT; 08-07-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:53 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by asupplee
I have a 2007 GT with a Whipple 10psi intercooled SC, 3:73 rear gears with Borla axle backs

I want to install headers and a new X pipe.

Whose headers and what will it do to my current tune
why waste money on that, no power is to be had until you are pushing 700 horse, and 10 psi is not doing that
Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

+1, you're not going to make any noticeable gains at your level with LTs. Maybe 10 rwhp if you're lucky.

About which ones to get, it makes absolutely no difference. Don't get caught up in prices versus quality. I have had $700 Hookers, and I have had $300 Pacesetters. Performance and fitment was the same. No issues with either!! Just make sure you get them coated, the painted headers will flake off and rust within 6 weeks. Ceramic coated headers will look like new for a couple years before showing stress.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Another thing to consider is whether or not they will rub against your steering linkage if you lower your car. I have BBK Lt (which are illegal in CA) and they rub against my linkage of which I found out after I lowered my car. Save up for a forged bottom end thats what i should have done and I hve many of the same mods as you esp the whipple
Old 08-07-2009, 11:40 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

i have kooks LTs with catted H pipe with stingers. love the sound.

Quick Reply: What are the best long tube headers