Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone used a tuner on their 2010 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:29 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
you can change the temp that the fan kicks in with the programmer?
Absolutely!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:35 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hoofprint
So are you saying you are seeing a difference on stock vehicles with just a tune?
I can not say for sure that the car is quicker to a certain speed (although I suspect it's a 1 tenth or two quicker to 60, just a guess) but it feels so much quicker. The throttle response is immediate, with the race tune it's almost touchy and takes just a bit of getting used to. You won't realize their was any lag until it's gone (with the tune).

Of course, you get three tunes (your choice) with the programmer (mine is the SCT X3). I got the "perforrmance", "torque" and "race" tunes. The race tune is noticeably stronger on the low end than the others and all of them are better than stock.

Originally Posted by jocatch
It looks like Bama and Brenspeed are the top two. But in another thread I see where Bama hasn't been very good in responding to calls or emails so I plan to check out Brenspeed some more on Monday when they open. I have seen claims of 15 more horse or about 5% improvement. I don't know if you can feel that or not.

Joe
Bama was a bit slower than I expected (it took about 3 weeks to get it) but I suspect that's because I was one of the first. They were good about answering emails.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Stang-n-Vette
1st Gear Member

I'm kind of puzzled as to why my car is "draggy" in 3rd gear. Seems like it just doesn't have the snap like other cars have. For instance, usually when cruising around 30 mph or so and you stomp on it, it just doesn't jump up and run, just kind of takes its time getting up to speed. It DOES get faster, but just not what I thought it would do.

Very confusing. I would think that 315 advertised hp would have a little more "oomph" than this!

Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:21 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-n-Vette
I'm kind of puzzled as to why my car is "draggy" in 3rd gear. Seems like it just doesn't have the snap like other cars have. For instance, usually when cruising around 30 mph or so and you stomp on it, it just doesn't jump up and run, just kind of takes its time getting up to speed. It DOES get faster, but just not what I thought it would do.

Very confusing. I would think that 315 advertised hp would have a little more "oomph" than this!

Any suggestions?
Downshift? Seriously, you aren't flooring it in 3rd at 30 mph, right?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:48 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

hey guys, I have a a brenspeed tune and have tried all the tunes, because Im just having to much fun racking up the miles on her. WOW is all I can say the car is fun out of the box but once the tuner is loaded up FUN FUN FUN! I have it on the 93 tune and it will put you back in the seat. Brenspeed has been really easy and good to work with so far. I have an Auto and she will chirp tires through 3rd gear! Def worth the money!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Hoofprint
2nd Gear Member

So does a tune void your warranty?
Are you able to save your factory settings and put them back to "Stock" at any time?
What happens of your tuner "crashes", are your factory settings then gone or can you back them up on a computer?
What is the best tuner for the money?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Stang-n-Vette
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Downshift? Seriously, you aren't flooring it in 3rd at 30 mph, right?
Sure, why not? (besides, I did say "around 30") Going a little too fast for a good 2nd gear acceleration, too short, and too low for 4th obviously. If I'm trucking along behind a slowpoke at 30 and can pass, why shouldn't I be able to romp on it and go?

Not necessarily "flooring it", but giving it a high degree of pedal, how about that?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jocatch
I must admit I feel very old. Back in the days when my '78 Z28 was new, souping up your car meant adding a new intake manifold, carb, headers and cam. It meant getting your hands dirty.

To think that today you can soup up your car's performance by retuning the engine's computer and never get your hands dirty is just so awesome.

I have started to look around for a programmer for my new GT. I checked out Superchips but they have nothing yet for the 2010 GT. I assume this will be the case for most other brands of tuners too. So for those of us on the cutting edge of increasing performance on the 2010's, what programmers are available now and are they worth using for everyday driving where one just wants to squeeze out a few more horses?

Joe
You'll find the aftermarket has also changed since '78 Superchips is no longer a leader (at least for mustangs) in the aftermarket performance arena. You'll find for most newer domestic performance cars, SCT and Diablo are two of the more popular tuners.

And yes, they are worth every penny when used with a CAI (Cold air intake) The average CAI + Tune on 91/93 octane will increase your HP by 10-15 RWHP, That's REAR WHEEL HP and your tq by 5-10 RWTQ yes, that's at the REAR WHEELS. That's for the 05-09

I don't know if the 2010 will see a big gain by adding an aftermarket CAI since they already have a factory one so you need to E-mail Brenspeed or Bamachips for that info. They will also give you a realistic expectation for additional TQ/HP numbers.

For the automatic mustangs, the tuners are a savior. THe factory programming on the 05-09 is very sluggish and is defintely tuned for MPG vs performace/spirited driving. Worth every penny for a DD.

Last edited by Derf00; 08-15-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Any suggestions?

30mph in 3rd??? There's your problem. You should be in second at that speed or downshift before you gun it.

I don't think ANY car would be snappy in 3rd at 30mph too high of a gear for such a low speed.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sure, why not? (besides, I did say "around 30") Going a little too fast for a good 2nd gear acceleration, too short, and too low for 4th obviously. If I'm trucking along behind a slowpoke at 30 and can pass, why shouldn't I be able to romp on it and go?

Not necessarily "flooring it", but giving it a high degree of pedal, how about that?

Umm..2nd winds out around 60mph...how is 30mph in second "a little too fast for a good 2nd gear acceleration"?

Quick Reply: Anyone used a tuner on their 2010 GT?