Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

ATTN: 60k+ Mile Owners with AFTERMARKET TUNES

Old 08-20-2009, 12:00 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Arrow ATTN: 60k+ Mile Owners with AFTERMARKET TUNES

Look, we all know about the various companies spouting out aftermarket tunes with this, that and the other great features. I have heard both good and bad stories about each of them. So, I am seeking the advice from anyone with 60k or more miles with any of the aftermarket tunes- Diablosport, SCT, Pro-cal, etc. Please state which device and which tune you're using.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

85K miles. SCT tuner. 3 tunes. Brenspeed 93 octane race tune, PSI Motorsports dyno tune, PSI Motorsports nitrous dyno tune.

No problems with any of them and the only way a tune is gonna really effect your car life is if the tuner advances the timing a whole lot to try and squeeze out more HP or if you drive it like you stole it all the time.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:39 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Well, that's not entirely true. Not only do the tuners change the ignition timing, but some has slightly more aggressive fuel curves (usually richer). This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Also, some of the tuners also can increase the transmission line pressure for firmer shifts, and alter the programming for various shift points.

Anyone else?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:20 AM
stang5151
2nd Gear Member

I was running Xcal 3 with a Tillman Speed Street/Strip 93 octane tune.......but recently switched to a custom dyno tune after additional mods.

I never had any issues with the Tillman tune - paid for it and got it within 24 hrs - it loaded up first try with no codes. Chris did the work. I think the email tunes are fine until you start messing with too many mods - then its better to actually have the car on a dyno, hooked up to a laptop, etc.....

Just my .02
Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

65k+ miles on a Brenspeed 87 tune with SCT tuner. No problems whatsoever. Car runs great
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the input. My mods for this car are going to stay at a minimum because I drive it so much.

I suppose I'm just worried about uploading the wrong tune. I mean, I know how much time Ford spends on getting the programming right on. How much time does Brenspeed, Bama or Tillman spend? And, what is their responsibility if something goes wrong? Probably not much. Dyno tuning is definitely an option, but with minimal mods I can't justify it.

What software are they using the alter the programming?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:06 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Just rolled over 60,000 last week. Have had the Brenspeed tune since 30,000 miles, supercharger since 50,000, and lots of other crap in between.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
Thanks for the input. My mods for this car are going to stay at a minimum because I drive it so much.

I suppose I'm just worried about uploading the wrong tune. I mean, I know how much time Ford spends on getting the programming right on. How much time does Brenspeed, Bama or Tillman spend? And, what is their responsibility if something goes wrong? Probably not much. Dyno tuning is definitely an option, but with minimal mods I can't justify it.

The fact their buisness relys on it a bit and their reputation... >=/(also these companys wouldn't be around if they blew up every car on dyno to tune it >=/)

Last edited by Solitear; 08-25-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

I have had bamas race tune via the used predator I bought for about 70,000 miles car is a automatic too!

so far so good,
Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench

Ford doesn't take alot of time to get it "just right". They take alot of time to get it "safe" in any condition, weather, altitude, fuel, driving condition etc. They also have it set to run specifically with a certain amount of air running into the motor. Add any decent CAI with no tuning and you will get a lean code due to too much air going into the motor.

Ford uses alot of the custom tuners for R&D and to fix OEM cars with drivability issues. I have not met a tech at any Ford dealership that understands the relationship between the O2 sensor, TPS, MAF, MAP, FRP sensor, spark, overall fuel pressure etc. The tuners who are good are known to be good and there tunes do not hurt or blow up any almost stock vehicle.

There are people at Ford that do know, but generally not at dealerships.

A CAi and tune is one of the best mods an almost stock Mustang can get.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATTN: 60k+ Mile Owners with AFTERMARKET TUNES