Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Leaky Head Gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
hintz73

Default Leaky Head Gasket???

I have a basically stock 97 GT. I noticed a while ago that if it sat and idle for a few minutes white smoke started to roll out of the tail pipes. It has gotten worse lately. I don't really have the money to take it to the shop right now so I was wondering if you guys could give me a few things to check out first so I know what it is and could possibly change it myself. If it is a head gasket I have a friend that knows how to do it and would help me do it. But I wanted to make sure it isn't like a computer thing or possibly something else. So what else could it be other than a head gasket and how can I find out what it is before I have to fix anything.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 AM
edawgdesigns.com
Former Sponsor

There isn't a straight answer for that. White smoke coming out of pipes is one of them though. You might want to check your compression too, it would show in one or two cylinders with no drop in others.

Does your car overheat quickly? Another thing to check is your plugs, notice any coolant in there or your oil?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
donhall

Default exhaust smoke

"If you see a wispy, lingering white smoke that has a bittersweet smell, this is an indication that your car's engine coolant is leaking into the combustion chambers. This may be due to a leaky head gasket, or in a worst case scenario, a cracked cylinder head." (see link)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ipe_smoke.html

Some may recommend adding a 'head gasket sealer' to your coolant, but even if the sealer works, it will only seal for a short time. A sealer is not recommended.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 PM
hintz73

The car doesn't overheat at all. Never had a problem with over heating. I did notice when I pulled my plugs out after I bought it last december that there was a lot of build up on one of them. It didn't look like oil. Like rust build up around it. I changed the plugs and wires and haven't noticed it since.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:15 AM
edawgdesigns.com
Former Sponsor

Rust on your sparkplugs? Not good, but again it could be a couple of things, crappy gas, gapping plugs that don't need gapping, coolant in combustion chamber.

Are you having any loss of power? With what you're describing so far,with the white smoke and now the rusty plugs, I'm leaning more towards a bad head gasket.

Are you good at turning a wrench? Reason why I ask is you can replace a head gasket pretty easily. You'd need a head gasket, torque wrench from Harbor Freight tools, gasket sealant and you're good to go. Don't let a shop rip you off, do it yourself.

Last edited by edawgdesigns.com; 08-27-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 AM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

You may want to do a little research before tearing into your engine...might help to have a good idea of what your going after before you consider repairs. Some thoughts and comments:
Are you the original owner? Do you know the history of the car? Was there an mechanical or driving event with the coolant condition being the result?
Is the coolant level low? Does the vehicle have a measureable leak? Have you verified that there are no external leaks? Have you performed a cooling system pressure test?
With the engine maintain a proper engine operating temperature under normal idle and driving conditions? Does it actually overheat? Does the electric cooling fan(s) work as
designed?
Does the engine exhibit a miss? Have you pinpointed the cylinder? A cylinder consuming coolant will clean the plug vitually spotless. I do not foresee a coolant burning plug coming out of a cylinder caked with deposits.
If you have a "blown" head gaskets the higher cylinder pressures will force themselves into the cooling system. This action will leave combustion contaminants in the coolant. There are coolant testing strips which can be dipped down into the coolant (like using litmus paper in the old science class projects). If combustion contaminants are present, the test paper willl turn a certain color. In some instances, bubbles can be observed in the cooling system while the engine is running which can indicate the possibility of combustion pressures escaping into the cooling system.
You must also consider that a blown cylinder head gasket is sometimes the result of another failure. Repairing the result without correcting the cause can lead to failure and re-repair.
If the engine is exhibiting internal coolant consumption of some type, I strongly suggest you get the vehicle to a professional or someone who is thouroughly versed with this particular engine.
And lastly, yes...an incorrect fuel mixture at idle can generate a white-colored smoke which bleeds out of the exhaust pipe and asimilates buring coolant. Stick you face in it and smell...if it's fuel, you'll know it.
Good Luck and let us know of the outcome.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 AM
hintz73

Ok so after reading that last post I'm thinkin it is just a improper fuel mixture at idle. Nothing showing up in my coolant, no amazingly clean spark plugs and I was told with a leaky head gasket the exhaust should have a sweat smell to it and I'm smelling fuel. So I think that is what it was. But before I try to do anything I was going to take it to a shop out here and see what they say. I live in Bremerton Washington, it's by Seattle some what. I am fairly new to the area so I don't know all the shops around here. Can anybody tell me where a good shop to go to is. One that is familar with these engines. I don't want to take it to some joe shmoe mechanic or a mechanic that don't know squat about 4.6's
Old 08-28-2009, 06:26 AM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

hintz73,
An overly rich fuel condition that you suspect could be the result of a programming miscalibration. If so, I don't think an independent would have the resources to change/modify/remap fuel delivery to address this specific concern. If there is a fix, I would look to Ford for an answer.
Ford may be aware of this condition and have a programming update or TSB (technical service bulletin) which may outline this concern. You may want to contact a Ford dealership in person and ask someone if they can run a bulletin search for this concern. Also, is some instances, another fuel delivery component can be operating out of parameters and trigger this fuel delivery error and in some instances will not set a "check engine" or "wrench" light.
I'd contact Ford on this one and see if they can shed some light.
Good Luck