Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

POLL: Spark Plug Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Default POLL: Spark Plug Removal

I know this issue has been covered a lot on this forum, but after reading through all of the old threads I still just cannot decide if I want to do this on my 06 GT with 33,000 miles. How about a simple poll for those who have done this, to maybe give people on the fence like me a little more data:

Mileage:

Any broke / How many:

Resolution for broken ones:
Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
07hotwheel

I changed mine this weekend. I have 07 gt 30,000. the first 1 i pulled out was the hardest, but it did not break, none of them did. I replaced them with Champions and put on the Ford anti sieze.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Plug Poll

I changed mine with 38K on the clock.

I broke off the second plug I removed. Had car trucked to dealer where their "best engine man" broke off 5 more. Got the car back with new Autolites in it, and a bill for like $625. Griped, and bitched and cried like a little girl to Ford and the dealership owner. I finally got every penny refunded. The fact thet I reminded them I had bought 4 new Mustangs might have had something to do with the refund.

Pulled the new Autolites and filed them in #13 and installed a set of Champions.

Never looked back.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

06 GT, 13K miles

All 8 came out without any issues. Didn't even need to use aerokroil.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Hagwood
I know this issue has been covered a lot on this forum, but after reading through all of the old threads I still just cannot decide if I want to do this on my 06 GT with 33,000 miles. How about a simple poll for those who have done this, to maybe give people on the fence like me a little more data:

Mileage:

Any broke / How many:

Resolution for broken ones:
I changed mine with 10K on the odo for the Champion one-piece, no broken ones. All is good as gold after 5K miles and...I don't have to worry about that issue any more

The only thing I did was in removing the plugs, I set my tq wrench to 25lbs incase I came accross one that would be a problem. No fouling or real carbon buildup at all. Of course I run WOT sometimes which helps blow things out.

Swap out should take about 30 minutes but took about 45 for me. I started the car after installing each new plug so I could identify if any were going to be giving me a problem (like cracked porcelain).
Old 09-02-2009, 05:23 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I changed mine with 38K on the clock.

I broke off the second plug I removed. Had car trucked to dealer where their "best engine man" broke off 5 more. Got the car back with new Autolites in it, and a bill for like $625. Griped, and bitched and cried like a little girl to Ford and the dealership owner. I finally got every penny refunded. The fact thet I reminded them I had bought 4 new Mustangs might have had something to do with the refund.

Pulled the new Autolites and filed them in #13 and installed a set of Champions.

Never looked back.
dude, I think you hold the record
Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Changed mine at 80k. I broke #4 and #6, both had heavy carbon buildup. My friend and I were able to remove the broken pieces with a special extraction tool I ordered.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07hotwheel
I changed mine this weekend. I have 07 gt 30,000. the first 1 i pulled out was the hardest, but it did not break, none of them did. I replaced them with Champions and put on the Ford anti sieze.
You don't need to use anti seize with the Champions, they may loosen up, I take them out and remove the anti seize.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

I bought my car with 68k on it. I didnt know about the plug issue, and I dont know if they have been changed. Can you tell by looking at them?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07hotwheel
I think they fixed the problem for the 07....only issues are in the 05-06. I could be wrong..

Quick Reply: POLL: Spark Plug Removal