Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

cutting eibach springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:21 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
With all due respect, are you a suspension engineer? How many books have you written on the topic? Which engineering school did you graduate from? What vehicle manufacturers have you worked for? Do you run an engineering consulting firm?

Herb Adams does all the above, yet you are saying he is incorrect in recommending cutting coil springs? Ummm....okay, if you say so. You must certainly know more than a highly trained and experienced suspension engineer.
The whole point of the forum is to debate topics such as this. You seem to be the only one (other then the links provided) that thinks cutting progressive rate springs is a good and recommended idea.

Now being a new member on this forum many members will not always agree with you and that is ok (whole point of debates) but in time if the info is factual and valid and consistent they will come around. If they don't that's their choice too.

I agree that rford426 should not have written what he did but he recanted and this in no way is a thread where I feel anything should be removed or infractions given to anyone.

I am subscribed now and I would like to hear some sponsors opinions like Sam Strano or our suspension guru's (all of them do road course racing etc-some professionally) as I think many of them would agree that cutting progressive rates springs in a bad idea unless you have a specific purpose for doing so and understand and have a vast resource of knowledge from the manufacturer that designed the springs for whatever your looking to achieve by cutting them.

I dont ever recommend cutting springs as there are so many manufacturer's that offer different rates from one company to the next (its not just about how much drop etc) so get what you want from one of the other companies.

OP- not a good idea to take 250 dollar springs and cut them up.....this is JMO

carry on with the debate and lets not be so thinnned skinned when someone is not agreeing with you on the forum.

peace
Old 11-05-2009, 05:34 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
The whole point of the forum is to debate topics such as this. You seem to be the only one (other then the links provided) that thinks cutting progressive rate springs is a good and recommended idea.

Now being a new member on this forum many members will not always agree with you and that is ok (whole point of debates) but in time if the info is factual and valid and consistent they will come around. If they don't that's their choice too.

I agree that rford426 should not have written what he did but he recanted and this in no way is a thread where I feel anything should be removed or infractions given to anyone.

I am subscribed now and I would like to hear some sponsors opinions like Sam Strano or our suspension guru's (all of them do road course racing etc-some professionally) as I think many of them would agree that cutting progressive rates springs in a bad idea unless you have a specific purpose for doing so and understand and have a vast resource of knowledge from the manufacturer that designed the springs for whatever your looking to achieve by cutting them.

I dont ever recommend cutting springs as there are so many manufacturer's that offer different rates from one company to the next (its not just about how much drop etc) so get what you want from one of the other companies.

OP- not a good idea to take 250 dollar springs and cut them up.....this is JMO

carry on with the debate and lets not be so thinnned skinned when someone is not agreeing with you on the forum.

peace
+1 Cutting spring is a bad idea, if not cut just right they won't fit right and can lead to some very bad things happening to your car.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

^^^^ I agree Barry!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Don't get opinions from people who sell lowering springs as they have a vested interest in selling those springs and their responses will be consequently tainted and not credible.

The suspension engineer Herb Adams doesn't sell lowering springs. He has no vested interest in advising people not to waste their money on lowering springs. Clearly this highly trained suspension engineer speaks the truth.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:55 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
+1 Cutting spring is a bad idea, if not cut just right they won't fit right and can lead to some very bad things happening to your car.
Not installing headers correctly is a bad idea too. It can lead to a fire and the destruction of the car. Not installing brakes correctly is a bad idea too, as it can lead to brake failure and death. Do anything incorrectly and it's a bad idea. However, performing a job correctly is not a bad idea.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:00 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Mrtstang- if you want this moved to the handling section let me know....you will get other responses there too
Old 11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1

Don't get opinions from people who sell lowering springs as they have a vested interest in selling those springs and their responses will be consequently tainted and not credible.

The suspension engineer Herb Adams doesn't sell lowering springs. He has no vested interest in advising people not to waste their money on lowering springs. Clearly this highly trained suspension engineer speaks the truth.
That is a matter of your opinion and IMO not true in many instances

I am not saying that cutting springs cant be done.....its the OP's money and if he wants to he can and I do know of some that cut the stock ones just to lower the car a bit......I am just saying that I would not recommend it.

Also Sam (site sponsor) sells many different kinds of springs and will give you his knowledge and exp. on many of them for having used them in the real world and on road courses. He is a national champion many times over and his opinions are respected and I know he is not the type to just sell you any spring just for the sale. He wants to meet the needs and satisfy the customer regardless of what he sells.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Certainly a highly trained suspension engineer has opinions and they are usually far more credible and valid opinions than those of the untrained.

Oh the heck with it. I give up! The professional advice of suspension engineers who don't work for lowering spring companies is invalid and not credible! CUTTING COIL SPRINGS CAUSES YOUR HAIR TO FALL OUT!

Cutting coil springs will cause blindness! Cutting coil springs will make your lady leave you! Cutting coil springs will make your pizza delivery late and cold, your toenails will turn green and massive quantities of hair will grow on your tongue too! "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Runnnnn!"
Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 PM
SKAR

Ill add that you shouldnt cut a progressive spring, and I would only ever cut if it would seat right afterwards and do it with a disc as to not heat the spring (also a much cleaner cut)

How long have you had the springs on the car? If they are new give them a bit of time to settle, as they will get a bit lower with time....
Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Cutting coil springs causes diabetes! A guy on the Internet said so!

Quick Reply: cutting eibach springs