Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger help please? Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default Supercharger help please? Looking to buy

Hi, I have been away from the forums for a while. I have an 06 gt with just the basic jlt 2, brenspeed tune and o/r h.
I am thinking about ordering a supercharger. Trying to decide between the whipple ho, procharger ho, or paxton ho. All with intercoolers. My main worry is my factory automatic transmission and my car breaking down.
If I add a supercharger to my gt, I would also have forged internals installed. I'm not sure which ones though for a daily driver and which would best fit my needs.
Any recommendations for forged internals on a high output sc setup?
Also, can i somehow get my factory trans to last a few years with a setup of 500 - 520 rwhp with these forged internals? Sadly, I am an auto guy. And the heavy duty transmission upgrade is the main purchase I'm worried about, also the forged internals being properly installed by my friend mechanic. I don't knoe if these 3 valve's need special tuning for these internals?
Any suggestions at all?
Thank you.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Lucky for you Ford just introduced the Whipple H.O. specific for automatics. It's intercooled and makes 475HP and comes complete, check it out.

475HP FRPP Whipple auto H.O.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:44 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

I would consider myself lucky if not looking at the price for that whipple kit
Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brad281
I would consider myself lucky if not looking at the price for that whipple kit
Expensive? Yes

Is it the best kit available on the market today? I believe so. Good tech support, proven parts, well engineered, proven system. I just bolted it on my garage and started shredding it up. Only issues were minor and my fault, and were easily remedied. The kit includes everything you will need.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

you say that you are looking at either twin screw or 1of2 centrifugals. which end of the spectrum are you leaning towards? track racing or road racing? Do you mind if the boost doesnt kick in till around 3000RPM's? Cause if you dont, then i think that procharger is the way to go. Thats what i ended up doing. I dont get to the track much anymore so i didnt care about instant boost. I was also able to save about $2000 by buying the procharger HO Intercooled.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Thank you all for the help. I'm getting closer and still trying to decide. Somehow, I always focus on the bad parts. Factory trans, weak internals, etc. Stupid question, where the twin screw basically has all the torque on tap right away, wouldn't I have to be more pedal savy when taking off than if I had a centri, which gains power through the upper rpms? I love the idea of the whipple having more power there quicker than a procharger, but for daily driver purposes? Just dumb me thinking again.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

personally, i'd leave the internals and transmission alone and just get the kit you want with about 10PSI of boost. Get used to that and see how it runs. If it is too slow for you, then think about going forged and upgrading the trans. But that is a lot of extra time and money you are talking about there just to go from about 470whp on a stock engine to 530whp on a built engine. Not worth upgrading the whole drivetrain to gain another 50-60whp. Now if you want to run in excess of 600+, then i would invest the extra money.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:03 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I have a Paxton 2200 Novi 2200 SL H.O. kit with an auto trans and I'm putting down 456 RWHP and could of put down in the 470's eazy since my AF was only at 10.5 when I hit 456 but I desided to back off since I wanted my stock lower end to last a bit longer. Daily driving works good with both types of S/C's my Girlfreind has a Roush TS with an auto trans and the thing I like better with my Paxton is the way the power comes in. On her's the power come on at full boost right away which tends to break the tires lose quick where as mine comes in eazy and builds up quick so I hook up right alway where she does not. Centrifugals are easyer on your auto trans too. Also, this same kit with just a pulley change can get you up to 900hp

Last edited by CutterWolf; 09-15-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:46 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

If you go centrifical both Vortech & Paxton make a great product.I'd go with one of those.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:01 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1ATony
If you go centrifical both Vortech & Paxton make a great product.I'd go with one of those.

i was told the intake elbow on the vortech's suck. the shop putting my procharger in said that they had to fabricate a metal intake for another customer that had a lot less curvature and it picked up 60 more HP at the wheels than the factory intake.

Quick Reply: Supercharger help please? Looking to buy