Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

COMP CAMS THUMPER CAMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Question COMP CAMS THUMPER CAMS

Does anyone know of a good shop in the Houston area for installing the Comp Cams Thumper Cams? Also, does anyone know an estimated price for the install? Might possibly consider installing myself if I could find a good write up on the install. This car is my daily driver so I would feel a little more comfortable having a shop do the install unless it is really easy. I will probably have PSI Motorsports in Webster do the 4.10 gears but not sure if they do the cams. E-mailed them to ask but never got a response.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hopefully someone with first hand experience with a
local shop there, can make a recommendation for
you. this shop looks like they are qualified, but only
you can say for sure after calling them and asking
for yourself.

http://www.houstonperformance.com/

install $ for the cams and phaser limiters (or lockouts),
could be anywhere from $500 - $800.

i would not say it is an easy job. if it's a daily driver, you
may just want to have a shop do it and then dyno tune
it while it's there.

Originally Posted by Darren05

Does anyone know of a good shop in the Houston area for installing the Comp Cams Thumper Cams?

Also, does anyone know an estimated price for the install?

This car is my daily driver so I would feel a little more comfortable having a shop do the install unless it is really easy.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

I need to know the answer to this question too.... Probably end up doing it myself though...
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply Hammeron.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:22 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sure no problem, always happy to help
someone get cammed.

i hope it works out and good luck with
the project.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:07 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

call pat at PSI. He has done all the work to my car and is very good at what he does. He is installing my procharger on monday too. He will get back with you, but he is busy as hell trying to answer phones as well as get in the grease.

Just call him up and tell him that Monte sent you over there.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Comp makes a Thumper cam for the modular Fords? Never heard of that. If true they are an agressive cam and you will need gears, like 4.10's and more supporting mods. 227*/241* is the smallest I have seen for a Thumper. What specs are you looking at for your car.
Trick Flow makes a nice grind for modulars, 226*/230* for $449. and with springs for $599. nice price.
You have a 3V motor don't you? Different cams than I am familiar with, still would like to see where Thumper cams are available and the specs though.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweet99
Comp makes a Thumper cam for the modular Fords? Never heard of that. If true they are an agressive cam and you will need gears, like 4.10's and more supporting mods. 227*/241* is the smallest I have seen for a Thumper. What specs are you looking at for your car.
Trick Flow makes a nice grind for modulars, 226*/230* for $449. and with springs for $599. nice price.
You have a 3V motor don't you? Different cams than I am familiar with, still would like to see where Thumper cams are available and the specs though.

http://www.compcams.com/3valve/
Old 09-19-2009, 07:31 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

PSI is hard to get a hold of because they are so busy. If you get an appointment with them it may be a little while but their work is great.

Houston performance sucks.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:12 PM
juanjogzz79

hi! i dont know very well the houston area, but i had this cams on mi car, almost 6 monts ago, is a 05 gt manual whit shorty headers, off road x pipe, flow master series 44 mufflers, S&B air filter, hurst short throw shifter, and, the most, most important, the custom tunning from brenspeed. DONT forget to make the tunning, cause the check engine light will appear, and some backfires too! the cams were installed by my mechanic in weslaco, tx, wich is a guy that works in a ford dealer, he didnt got troubble to install it, hiven with the phasers. i think i got more work to replace the valve springs! so you can check arround w a mechanic in a ford dealer, cause they are experience w this cars, (he did the work at is home, so wasnt expensive)the result: you can feel a little more power, but most this cams are for the sound, and believe me, its incredible! a really muscle car!! let me know the results! thanks

Quick Reply: COMP CAMS THUMPER CAMS