Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

How to go about forging the bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM
will7650

Default How to go about forging the bottom end?

So I plan to super charge my s197. im gonna start by running a KB stage 1 intercooled at 8-9 psi and tune it to around 450 rwhp so the stock block and internal will hold up until i can forge them.
So after I do that, Whats the best, most cost efficient way to go about forging the bootm end. Do I buy a seperate forged short block already assembled with forged pistons, crank and rods? Do I reuse my aluminum block and have a shop install forged internalls? Around how much does something like this cost parts and labor wise?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
impulse GT

First, go Whipple instead of KB. WAAAY better product and way better company. Second, a forged shortblock is going to cost a bit more but it will save you weeks in down time if you end up using your own engine. Either way expect to pay between $3500 to $4500 for just the bottom end or short block then another $1200 to $1600 for a shop like ours to install it and swap over your stock heads. And thats if you decide to keep the heads stock and not do cams at the same time.

I make 515rwhp on my stock motor and haven't blow it yet for almost 30,000 miles. How much more power do you need?

eric@impulsecars.com
Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

I would like to know what specifically is better about a whipple than a KB blower, having done some research myself the KB is the best setup especially for a guy looking to upgrade later and the reason is, the KB is a 2.6l blower the competition is a 2.3l that means its gonna support more power, which means you don't have to change out the blower when you wanna up the boost after your bottom end is forged. the KB makes the most sense to me for the money. because its got the bigger blower
Old 10-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

if your paying a shop to do all the work, it's not gonna be much different to have your motor built then to buy a built S/B

IMO buy a built S/B and then sell the stock S/B

either the KB or Whipple will support the power you'll make - if looking for 700+ then different story
Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

who cares what kind of blower he wants to go with, let him make his decision for his car, thats why all those companies are in business; b/c different people see different things in each set up...now to answer your question about the forged internals..

Stkjock said it best. Get you a forged short block and maybe even try to pick up a set of used heads to port and polish. Then you can do an engine swap, minimize down time and make up some of that money by selling your stock engine to someone else.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:05 PM
will7650

Originally Posted by Stkjock
if your paying a shop to do all the work, it's not gonna be much different to have your motor built then to buy a built S/B

IMO buy a built S/B and then sell the stock S/B

either the KB or Whipple will support the power you'll make - if looking for 700+ then different story
This does make sense and the way im probably gonna do it thanks. Im not a big mechanic and never built an engine before so an already built short block would be alot easier. Ive also been learning alot about building engines and I think it wouldnt be that hard if I just had some practice. so once i got my original engine out I think im gonna play with it , take it apart, put it back together. I guess I could just try and put forged internals in my stock block myself, but do you guys think it would be better in the long run to buy one of stronger material than stock aluminum block? I see in magazines where there selling short and longblocks in iron and aluminum and the aluminum ones are always more expensive. this must be because there lighter in weight but are they as durable for a supercharged application as an iron block? and lastly, Who makes a great block for the money and what im looking for?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
stl4life101

i decided to go the forged internals way with forged rods, pistons, gonna get cams too. I got other things to put in also but I'm with will on not exactly being a mechanic and was wondering if there were other things that I should add to my list so I do this whole thing right the first time around. The stock crank I've heard can handle up to 700 hp so wasnt really worried about replacing it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by impulse GT
First, go Whipple instead of KB. WAAAY better product and way better company. Second, a forged shortblock is going to cost a bit more but it will save you weeks in down time if you end up using your own engine. Either way expect to pay between $3500 to $4500 for just the bottom end or short block then another $1200 to $1600 for a shop like ours to install it and swap over your stock heads. And thats if you decide to keep the heads stock and not do cams at the same time.

I make 515rwhp on my stock motor and haven't blow it yet for almost 30,000 miles. How much more power do you need?

eric@impulsecars.com
It is very rare to see a shop recommend a Kenne Bell because the shop does not make money off the sale of the blower like they do with Whipple and Saleen. KB does only retail sales and deals directly with the customer. They skip the middle man. If you buy from a shop, they either aren't making money on the deal or they are charging you extra.

I've asked three sperate shops who deal with both. All preferred the Whipples becuase they are dealers and install them very regularly. They are comfortable with them. If you know a shop owner well enough, they will tell you exactly what they feel instead of their sales pitch.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

all i can tell you stl4life101, is to talk to
BruceH, he's been there and done that.

Originally Posted by stl4life101

i decided to go the forged internals way with forged rods, pistons, gonna
get cams too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.