Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Default Supercharger and MPG

Do any of you notice a MPG drop after installing the supercharger outside of when you're really getting into the machine? I'm curious if the drag of the charger belt affects this much, or, if like a turbo system, the difference is small when out of boost range.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

the difference is very very small in MPG,
really not even enough to factor into the
equation of whether to buy one or not.

good luck and let us know if you join the
boost club.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:06 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

lol, my MPG dropped dramatically...but my problem is i cant seem to keep my foot out of the thottle

word of advice...if you are truely worried about MPG, then a supercharger is not for you.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
jgorm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mac10chap
lol, my MPG dropped dramatically...but my problem is i cant seem to keep my foot out of the thottle

word of advice...if you are truely worried about MPG, then a supercharger is not for you.
Me too. I get 13 in the city, driving mellow, or hard. I got about 17 before the blower. It gets about 23mpg on the freeway.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

50-50 city/highway driving

bone stock: 20 mpg
CAI & tune: 19 mpg
E-Force: 18 mpg

I hit the boost once in a while, don't race, and am generally not a menace to society on the streets.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Impulse Cars
Former Sponsor

Exclamation

I have 3 2005+ Mustangs, 1 with a Procharger HO Stage II kit, 1 with the Paxton Novi2200 kit, and 1 with the Impulse Garrett TWIN TURBO kit.

Of of these things SUCK GAS! All of these cars have stock t-bodies and JBA shorties (except the turbo car obviously) and no cams.

The turbo car actually gets about 14 around town. the blower cars get between 10 and 12. And when your foots in it, all bets are off. I ran my car at Irwindale Speedway on the outer over to inner oval drift track for an entire weekend. My dash said .8mpg average!

Good luck! ;-)
Old 10-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Significant drop in mileage, even when out of the throttle. From 18-19 in the city to 14-15. Depends on the traffic you drive in too, stop and go is a killer for economy. If you can cruise at a steady rate it's much better.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:06 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I'm not super concerned about MPG in general, but I am the type that enjoys power, but can manage to stay out of boost for the majority of my driving. My dads vehicle, a pretty heavily modified BMW 335, still gets great mileage despite being pretty far from stock. I realize that its a 6 cylinder and that helps tons, but was curious if the MPG loss from having to drive a belt all the time for the supercharger was significant. I am more experienced with turbocharger cars, and should I pick up a Stang, I'd probably be leaning more towards the Hellios (or whatever its titled) system.

My current car gets about 28 hwy and 18-20 city, however my car before that, a 66 gmc that I fuel injected, got 10 reg, 14- hwy, so having a car in the middle wont hurt me too badly.

Any years that fair better for FI than others on these Stangs?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:17 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

The spark plug issue with the 2005-1st half 2008 mustangs would be enough to make me get a 2009+. The spark plug issue is with 2-piece design in the plug that is prone to breaking in half when the plugs are removed, leaving half the plug stuck in the head. There's a process to get it out, but I'd MUCH rather skip the possibility of that every happening.

In the 2nd half of 2008, ford switched spark plug & head designs so that this isn't an issue anymore.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:19 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Damn Ford and their high thread design.

Quick Reply: Supercharger and MPG