Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Comp Cams XFI

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by breathegood
What is your feeling about the suggestion of 3.73 gears or higher with the 127200 cam? My car came with 3.55s and I don't want to step up to 4.10, but 3.73 or 3.90 seems like sort of a waste from where I already am. I am also having the heads CNC'd so hopefully that will help make up for the loss of low end torque....
If it were me, I would go with 4.10's since I do not do much highway driving and am not worried about MPG. The 3.73 would be a good option as well. Anything to get you moving and into your power band is always a good thing.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

I am very interested in the NSR stage 2's, but it says they are better with 3.73's. I have 3.55's. Should I go with stage 1 or 2? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Although they preform best with 3.73's or higher, our test car was stock with 3.31 and it preformed perfect. I would go stage II. You will love them.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

thank you.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:00 AM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

Got the car back from having the Comp NSR stage 2s installed and Pypes headers. All i can say is the guys at Brenspeed are a great group of guys and i will DEFINITELY be back to get my S/C from them. I hopefully will have a video up this weekend if i can find a good camera that wont distort when i rev the car. The car is loud but not obnoxious, and has a deep throaty idle, that just gets louder at WOT. The mid pipe i went with was a H pipe with high flow cats, i would have went with an O/R H but i have to pass TN emissions every year. The dyno numbers were lower than i had hoped, but i am running heavy *** 20s. The Dyno numbers are 310 horsepower and 300 torque on Brenspeed's dyno, i believe it is a Dynojet. Overall i am very happy, like i said i was a little disappointed that i didnt get to the 320-325 rwhp that i was looking for but considering i dont have the CMDP or U/D pulleys and running heavy wheels it isnt that bad. I didnt notice any drop off in low end power, but if there was any it is a very small amount. My next mods will probably be 4.10 gears and aluminum D/S, but that may change. I hope to see some better times at the track on this upcoming tuesday, my averages before the headers and cams were in the 8.7-9.0 range with my mph anywhere from 80-85, those are 1/8th mile times by the way. Again that is with running on the 20s, mostly because im too lazy to swap out the rims for the factory 17s. Like i said I'll start another thread and post the videos there, and ill put a link in this thread for those that have been waiting. I am hoping that the weather clears up so i can not only do some revs sitting still but some driving ones also.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Glad you love it, your numbers would be higher with the 17's but those are still very good numbers even with 20's. Hope the drive home was fun. Nice looking car and can't wait to talk in the future.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

VIDEO or death.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

sorry off subject ,but hey breathegood where in colorado are you at , and who is doing your heads?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 PM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BRENSPEED
Glad you love it, your numbers would be higher with the 17's but those are still very good numbers even with 20's. Hope the drive home was fun. Nice looking car and can't wait to talk in the future.

Thanks for the compliments, and i had a great time while up there. The experience was great, yall have a customer for life. Yeah i will probably keep the 20s for show purposes and buy me some 18s or use the factory 17s for track duty, once i get some more money to buy some DRs. I went to the track tonight and the street tires are killing me, so i guess i need to break down and buy those MT ET Streets for my 17s from yall before next season opens.

Originally Posted by hardcore302
VIDEO or death.
LOL ok ok, i will try to get the video taken and uploaded later today. Things have been very busy for me since i got back in town.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:06 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangRacing4.6ltr
sorry off subject ,but hey breathegood where in colorado are you at , and who is doing your heads?
I live in Castle Rock, but the car is currently with Scott of P&Performance (www.p&performance6.com). His shop is out in Byers. He came highly recommended from other members at coloradostangs. He told me he sent the heads to a place in Ohio for the machining. I don't remember the name of the machine shop. I dropped the car off just a couple of days after FRPP had listed 3v heads that will accept a traditional spark plug. He and I both would have gone that route if FRPP would have given any specific information about the flow capabilities of the new heads. If you need your car as a daily driver, the FRPP heads are probably the route I would take. A little more $$$, but I'm currently at over a month of downtime and I'm missing my car.

The day I dropped off my car he had three 1000+ hp Terminators, a custom TT lightning with a healthy dose of NOS, and a couple of older project cars sitting in his immaculately clean shop. After seeing some of his work, I sort of regret not having him fab up some custom manifolds for my leftover STS turbo parts........Oh well, there's always next year!

Quick Reply: Comp Cams XFI