Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Upgrade block for s/c saleen mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Why is that?
Well, a stroker will achieve a higher compression ratio versus the stock stroke. A stroker will also produce more torque versus the stock setup which in turn puts more pressure on the thrust side of the piston, which has a tendency to wear faster. And by faster I am talking many miles, not in 10 or even 50k miles. (Basically the stroker creates more torque.) The reason I say reliability is a little less with the stroker, is because by lengthening the stroke, when you reach high rpms, the piston skirts tend to leave the cylinder much more than with the stock stroke. When the skirts get high enough, they tend to sway, or rock back and forth. Over time, the piston wears the cylinder unevenly, and creates blow by. Eventually, it will burn the pistons and cause detonation. Everything on a stroker has to be just right, more so than the stock setup. The stock 4.6L has plenty of stroke as is. You might see a little bit of gains, but not so much that I would fool with it. Really, the 4.6L could stand to be bored a little larger, but there's simply not enough material on the block. Especially with a centifugal, I would be more apt to forge and be able to run 7000rpms where a centrifugal would really shine. Like I said before, it's all in what you want out of your motor.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 PM
SCsaleen2006

the supercharger i got is a root style from saleen..originally the boost was only like 8psi..i was told that this was a safe tune but evadently they were wrong..if i go with the original heads, up the boost to like 13 or 14psi and go with the 4.6 with forged internals everything should be good?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCsaleen2006
the supercharger i got is a root style from saleen..originally the boost was only like 8psi..i was told that this was a safe tune but evadently they were wrong..if i go with the original heads, up the boost to like 13 or 14psi and go with the 4.6 with forged internals everything should be good?
The Saleen unit is actually a twin screw supercharger. The difference is a twin screw is actually a set of worm gears with very tight tolerances. It is very efficient at creating boost, as it is continually pushing air. The roots supercharger systems operate with lobes. Most systems have between two and four lobes, and each time the lobe compresses it sends a pulse of air. So basically, it sends the air through the intake in bursts. To answer your question: Yes. And you will be making huge numbers. I won't say you will make xxx amount of power, but with 14psi, and the right contributing mods, you could easily achieve well over 600rwhp. Remember, when you up the boost, you are going to need a free flowing intake and exhaust, and a very good fuel system. Once you forge, you are going to limit your power only with the contributing mods and tune. Talk to a reputable shop such as JDM or PAS. They will steer you in the right direction.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
SCsaleen2006

ok ill do that
Old 11-24-2009, 07:24 AM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

any super charged car even with a safe tune can go if you beat on it enough
Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sadface
any super charged car even with a safe tune can go if you beat on it enough
Oh without a doubt. ANY engine can go if you beat on it hard enough or long enough regardless of induction.

But you will be safer if you do the right things, such as making sure you have a fuel system to support the power you make, making sure you get a tune from a reputable tuner, and driving with some sense. At any power level, there are people who have had zero problems by taking the right precautions.