Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bad battery, alternator, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
2006blackmustang

Default Bad battery, alternator, or something else?

My mustang goes through the following cycle:
Although the car's interior lights work, there is not enough battery power for the car to start. There is a clicking noise when I turn the key - but that's it.

Then, I jumpstart the battery and the car starts and operates just fine.

Then I stop the car/turn off ignition, wait up to a few minutes before attempting to restart, and then car will usually not restart...until I re-jumpstart it.

Other facts:

Whenever I jumpstart the car, the car radio turns on even though it is always turned off before I kill the ignition. The lights and AC are always turned off as well before killing the ignition.

I usually only drive the car once a week at most.

The car has an added 500 watt amp and two subwoofers with a cable attached to the positive node of the battery.

The car is supercharged.

The battery has checked fine when I have it tested at Autozone.

What should I do to resolve this issue?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:45 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Is it the stock MotorCrap battery? If you use the search feature you'll find dozens of threads regarding battery issues and also alternator issues. I'd have the alternator checked also. Low voltage wreaks havoc on our electronics which may explain the radio coming on when you get a jumpstart.

Is the amp connected directly to the battery? From your post and w/o additional info, it almost sounds as if your amp is "on" 24/7.

Last edited by Nuke; 11-09-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 PM
2006blackmustang

Default okay

The amp and cable to the battery were installed about a year before this started happening. I already had the Ford stock battery replaced by the dealership when this first started. I have an Autozone battery now (third battery).

Can I go to a mechanic and ask them to test the alternator by itself?

Also, can't I just detatch all cables to the positive node on the battery when the car is just sitting in the garage?

Thanks. I'll search the forums too.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 PM
2006blackmustang

Default okay

Yes, I am assuming the amp is directly connected to the battery. There is definitely an additional cable resulting from the installation of the amp/subwoofer that was added to the normal attachments to the positive node.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2006blackmustang
Can I go to a mechanic and ask them to test the alternator by itself?

Also, can't I just detatch all cables to the positive node on the battery when the car is just sitting in the garage?...
Most shops should be able to test the alternator. If nothing else, you'll be able to rule that out.

Disconnecting the positive lead to the battery every time you finish a drive is a rather uneccessary activity. You could attach a tender every time but that's still a pain. I'd fix the problem permanently. Consider finding another terminal point that's dead with the ignition off or install a control relay as BruceH mentioned. The amps in the Shaker 500's were known to remain on with the ignition off and was the cause for many a dead battery. If your amp is staying on then I'll say you found the culprit.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

You say you only drive it once a week. How long of a drive would it be? My car was doing the same thing as yours. I took it to autozone and it checked out good so I took it out for a nice long drive about 45 minutes or so. Turned it off for 20 minutes and started it back up and it started strong. Maybe you just need to drive it longer and let the alternator fully charge the battery.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I had the same issues a while back. Switched to an optima red top and never had another slow startup, even when the car sits for over a month.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
2006blackmustang

Default okay

I only drive it for about 20-30 minutes at a time. But I've always done that. I am taking it to a mechanic today to check the alternator.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:27 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

parasitic drain off the amp perhaps?

(O_o)?

Quick Reply: Bad battery, alternator, or something else?