Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

My advice on short throw shifter installs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

Default My advice on short throw shifter installs

I just installed the ford racing short throw shifter in my 2010 yesterday. I really haven't any experience with other short throws to compare to but the ford racing one is nice and the throws feel really short (i was too lazy to measure the differences). My only complaint was the finish paint flakes off really easy and its bare metal under that. It might be a good idea to strip it down and powder coat it. It really is a pretty straight forward install but I wanted to put in a few pieces of advise that would have made it go alot faster for me.

1. The shifter DOES fit though the top and its alot easier (less bolts) than moving the driveshaft. The key is the forward arm that holds the shifter in. If you rotate sideways it slides down past the trans (and then back up for the install) pretty easy. If you remove the rubber/poly boot on the back of the shifter (its the big block that the "U" strap holds against the floor pan) you have a little more room to play.

2. The actual body of the Ford Racing shifter is taller than the factory one, but it can still be installed through the top in the reverse of the removal of the stock piece, but remember to take off the rear poly block, it's more important for install than removal.

3. When installing the forward arm of the shifter there is a long bolt that goes through it. The sound deadening material makes it a little tight but if you feel any resistance above a very light amount (just a few ft/lbs) back it out and start over. You're about to strip the threads in the tranny. I pushed up with another wrench and then tightened with the 10mm and it threaded fine.

4. Enjoy

I do have some pictures if you need em but the roush directions are pretty good other than how to remove the shifter.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:04 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Thanks Love the roush no peeling and was only $60 by dealer to install IMO better than doing yourself especially when something happens it on them.