Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

GMS Ford 3V Hot-Street Coil Pack

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Lankers
1st Gear Member

Default GMS Ford 3V Hot-Street Coil Pack

anyone used these or any other packs? I've been considering putting them on my stang, but wanted to get some opinions about them before I dropped $280 on a set.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:23 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lankers
anyone used these or any other packs? I've been considering putting them on my stang, but wanted to get some opinions about them before I dropped $280 on a set.
I have the GMS pro series, i paid 400.00 about 3 years ago, so i think 280. is a good deal. A number of members on this forum have had problems with GMS coils, but i guess i got lucky, as mine have been trouble free. Since install, my car idles down faster and runs smoother overall.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

From what I have read unless your are F/I coil Packs are a waste of money and GMS coil packs have been giving people problems. Here is a helpful thread
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthrea...ght=Granatelli

I would save and extra $300 to $400 and get a set of gears and install.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Lankers
1st Gear Member

cool thanks again for the help. I'll definitely save that money and put it toward something reliable and beneficial lol
Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As said above, the stock COPs do no worse on a non-FI car than aftermarket, plus there have been numerous posts about failed aftermarket COPS.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lankers
cool thanks again for the help. I'll definitely save that money and put it toward something reliable and beneficial lol
it's not like GMS puts out great products anymore. Most everything they sell is cheap and has quality issues. I've seen the new sales guy boasting about how much better GMS is now, but they're still peddling the same ole stuff. It takes 5 times as much effort to bring someone back to a product as it does to initially sell them, so GMS has some work to do before they can remove the stigma of bad service.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

GMS coils are great if you like changing coils. I say that because you will have to change them, and change them often. GMS was great about sending me a new coil every time one failed, which was about every 15 minutes. Eventually I unloaded them on ebay and went back to stock. Car never ran better.

Save your money.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Chris@GMS
Banned

Originally Posted by Ken04
it's not like GMS puts out great products anymore. Most everything they sell is cheap and has quality issues. I've seen the new sales guy boasting about how much better GMS is now, but they're still peddling the same ole stuff. It takes 5 times as much effort to bring someone back to a product as it does to initially sell them, so GMS has some work to do before they can remove the stigma of bad service.
I understand where you are coming from, and you are right GMS got a bad wrap and we are trying to change that, but negative comments do not help it. As for coil failures out of the 10's of thousands that we sell some will fail. And of course the ones that did fail happen to be from forum members and so they talk about it. But then one person's problem turns into an epidemic, because he said she said my dog said that it failed. The truth be told most of the failures were because installation error. some customers were installing the boots and cable on top of the spark plug then trying to push the coil on after hearing the click on the spark plug, thinking that was good not realizing that the connector was not seated on the coil which will still fire the coil but cause an Arc and burn up the coil. But like diabolical said when he had failures we did take care of him, and I am sorry that you had so many problems with them. with this economy if there is only negative comments made about everyone no one will survive and then people will be like wow what happened I cannot buy parts anywhere. The aftermarket lost a lot good companies last year Lucky for us GMS weathered the storm because we try and take care of every customer we have. But we can take the good with the bad and cannot make everyone happy. Sometimes you cannot please everyone. But that is why we are here to listen and comment and to tell our side of the story and hopefully make a better product for future enthusiasts.