Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

paxton/vortech tuner kit install??

Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

^^

100 is friggin hot lol. thats twice the heat of the average summer day up here, even then it's pretty cool and not humid at all. If anything, I'll get the HO kit to up the boost safely and then do some blower or XFI NSR cams (to retain IM). I do quite a bit of driving/drag racing during the summer so the HO upgrade is in my definite plans, though it'll be next year. Very excited about this kit going in the coming months...

on topic of hp, which cars do you think I'd be able to take with this kit on??
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

PS

Might go ahead and use upgraded springs/retainers for the XFI NSR stage 2 cams. I know they don't require them but I am not sure how they'll hold up being boosted and all. I would have gone with the Blower cams but I don't want a noticable idle and I still want to retain IM. I hope the springs aren't overkill not allowing the lobes to do their job, if so I may be able to get away with retainers.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:45 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. decided to get the Vortech V3 non-intercooled from Brenspeed here in a month or so, can't beat the value and potential of this blower kit. I like the Magnacharger as well, but I can't get over the rear belt drive for the roots screws and the external drive shaft on the left side of the housing. Looks soo hokey to me lol.

Can't wait to get the Vortech!

Kudos to Brenspeed!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:26 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
.. decided to get the Vortech V3 non-intercooled from Brenspeed here in a month or so, can't beat the value and potential of this blower kit. I like the Magnacharger as well, but I can't get over the rear belt drive for the roots screws and the external drive shaft on the left side of the housing. Looks soo hokey to me lol.

Kudos to Brenspeed!
sweet...keep us posted...
Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I personally would never run non intercooled no matter what the ambient temps are. like someone said earlier the IAT's go up from the pressure change alone regardless of the ambient temps. IAT's go up about 10 degrees per PSI and every 10 degrees is 1% HP. so run 8 psi and the temps are going up 80 degrees and you're losing 8%. on a 400whp car that 8% is 32hp! not to mention the car will heat soak so the IAT's are really going to be at least 40-50 degrees over ambient before you floor it in the first place.

my last car had a supercharger and it didn't come with a intercooler option from the manufacturer. so I ran non-intercooled for about a year or two until another company made a custom air to water intercooler setup for me. I got to see first hand the effects of heat soak and the HUGE difference the intercooler made for both power and consistency from run to run.

non-intercooled on 9psi my intake temps would easily get over 200 degrees on a run through a couple gears with 90 degree ambient temps. the most I ever saw was over 220, hot enough to boil water! at cruise it would never go below 50-60 degrees over ambient. the most annoying thing was the car would never be consistent, the first run would feel great, the second run it would get slower, the 3rd run and blah, forget it. even when it was 40-50 degrees out, once it got heat soaked the fun was over.

intercooled on 9 psi I never got past 30-40 degrees over ambient after running through a few gears. at cruise I would be around 10-15 degrees over ambient. in between runs the IAT's would drop back down pretty quick and the next run would feel just as good as the first run. it also made 10% more whp on the dyno without changing the boost. plus the cooler the air the less chance of knock. even if you don't raise the boost you get consistency from run to run, extra insurance against knock, and more power doesn't hurt either
Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Kudos to Brenspeed!
the Kenne Bell doesn't do that good luck with the kit, keep us posted!
Old 03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
I personally would never run non intercooled no matter what the ambient temps are. like someone said earlier the IAT's go up from the pressure change alone regardless of the ambient temps. IAT's go up about 10 degrees per PSI and every 10 degrees is 1% HP. so run 8 psi and the temps are going up 80 degrees and you're losing 8%. on a 400whp car that 8% is 32hp! not to mention the car will heat soak so the IAT's are really going to be at least 40-50 degrees over ambient before you floor it in the first place.

my last car had a supercharger and it didn't come with a intercooler option from the manufacturer. so I ran non-intercooled for about a year or two until another company made a custom air to water intercooler setup for me. I got to see first hand the effects of heat soak and the HUGE difference the intercooler made for both power and consistency from run to run.

non-intercooled on 9psi my intake temps would easily get over 200 degrees on a run through a couple gears with 90 degree ambient temps. the most I ever saw was over 220, hot enough to boil water! at cruise it would never go below 50-60 degrees over ambient. the most annoying thing was the car would never be consistent, the first run would feel great, the second run it would get slower, the 3rd run and blah, forget it. even when it was 40-50 degrees out, once it got heat soaked the fun was over.

intercooled on 9 psi I never got past 30-40 degrees over ambient after running through a few gears. at cruise I would be around 10-15 degrees over ambient. in between runs the IAT's would drop back down pretty quick and the next run would feel just as good as the first run. it also made 10% more whp on the dyno without changing the boost. plus the cooler the air the less chance of knock. even if you don't raise the boost you get consistency from run to run, extra insurance against knock, and more power doesn't hurt either
lol luckily I only have 3 months (more like 2 1/2) months of summer to worry about, eh?

The rest of the time, its freezing cold (8-9 months). heck.. it's spring break right now and still about 30 outside.. it'll be like this til mid April all the way til May when it gets a little warmer and when I say warm, I mean "55-60" out lol.

There were plenty of days where I had to wear a hat and thick sweater without shaking over at the track. Air is real nice too, never ever humid nor too dry- very fresh. Because of the weird weather, we've been getting more rain than anything else.

If anything, I might fab a air to air intercooler just for this season before next year when I do get the H.O. upgrade. Plus the power is up in the powerband anyways, so unless I get on it all the time it shouldn't melt the block lol

Which supercharger did you have without the intercooler??
Old 03-07-2010, 08:26 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Which supercharger did you have without the intercooler??
my old Honda CRX was motor swapped and supercharged. 275whp in a 2,000 pound car makes for a fun ride it was a 115mph trap car when I sold it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Ij73WDX8o
Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
my old Honda CRX was motor swapped and supercharged. 275whp in a 2,000 pound car makes for a fun ride it was a 115mph trap car when I sold it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Ij73WDX8o
damn, that lil sucker moves lol.

Got tired of "wrong wheel drive", eh?..
Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The hottest I've ever seen my IAT go in Texas at 105 degrees ambient was 160~. I've had no problems running this non-intercooled kit. Whatever you were running at 9psi that was heatsoaking easily when it was 50-60 degrees outside, didn't behave the way this Vortech does for whatever reason.

This all comes down to expectations I guess. I gave up going WOT all the time in my "fun" cars 10 years ago, I guess I'm just "over it". I occasionally nail it, and the powers always there. /shrug I don't track the car either. This is a great kit for the money, and if I were you up there in Alaska, I'd never spring for the HO version. With any luck I'll be living in the mountains later this year, so the heat won't be as bad, but of course theres the altitude. Any way you slice it though, this car is way faster than it was stock.

Last edited by Mudflap; 03-08-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: paxton/vortech tuner kit install??