Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Magnacharger??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:26 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2006BlackGT
You are correct but that is basically the most you will get without belt slip.
427whp (??)

I love the whine, the bling factor and the price (hotpart.com) , but I still have alot to read about the pros and cons.. I initially singled out the Vortech/Paxton because of soo many happy campers with the product. Quite honestly, I don't know too much about the Magna other then it's a roots type blower and whines more than a 2 month old starving for tit action lol. That price is ridiculous though, I wonder if they're remanufactured kits on that site??
Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 AM
2006BlackGT

No the kits are new and it is a good charger. I almost bought that supercharger until I got a deal on a saleen with 3k miles on it and all of the bolts, belts, etc. On another forum that is someone who is just getting the maggie installed and dyno tuned. Evryone is subscribing for numbers. I know someone who had the maggie and was dipleased by the power but it all depends on your goals. The maggie just doesn't give you room for growth so it all depends on your goals. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2006BlackGT
No the kits are new and it is a good charger. I almost bought that supercharger until I got a deal on a saleen with 3k miles on it and all of the bolts, belts, etc. On another forum that is someone who is just getting the maggie installed and dyno tuned. Evryone is subscribing for numbers. I know someone who had the maggie and was dipleased by the power but it all depends on your goals. The maggie just doesn't give you room for growth so it all depends on your goals. Good luck.
Thanks

lol I think I read that thread actually. A member dynoed something like 368whp or something similar along those lines. I may go with a smaller pulley and get the boost up to (claimed)430ishwhp. I know what you mean about a low ceiling for max boost. Either Vortech/Paxton put out nearly 100 more whp than the Magna (but the magna has more torque down low, just not up top in the WHP numbers), and they also have alot more potential overall. Honestly though, I doubt I'll be able to max out any of the SC kits since I'll remain stock motor/trans for quite some time. I thought about doing a built motor but felt guilty for it being that it only has 26,000 miles and still under full warranty.

My goals (for now at least) is to build a powerful and reliable daily driver, that will see alot of track time during the summer. A blower will be at the heart of the kit, working then on suspension, tires, getting off the line as hard as possible etc.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Chris D
1st Gear Member

I'm having a Magnacharger installed on my 06 GT....hopefully pick it up tomorrow. I chose the Magna because of the low price that includes an intercooler from J&M (unlike the base Vortech V3 kit from Brenspeed for the same price). I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama and it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer....I didn't want to risk "heak soak" by not having an intercooler. Also, I have Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams and Steeda CAI that I can resuse. My FRPP Strut Tower Brace will also clear the Magna. I'll post the dyno numbers when I pick her up...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:46 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris D
I'm having a Magnacharger installed on my 06 GT....hopefully pick it up tomorrow. I chose the Magna because of the low price that includes an intercooler from J&M (unlike the base Vortech V3 kit from Brenspeed for the same price). I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama and it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer....I didn't want to risk "heak soak" by not having an intercooler. Also, I have Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams and Steeda CAI that I can resuse. My FRPP Strut Tower Brace will also clear the Magna. I'll post the dyno numbers when I pick her up...
Noice!

Its gonna be great with those cams in there..

ditto about the intercooler being a good pre-cautionary measure in the hot climate..
Old 02-21-2010, 05:56 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

crap.. the only thing now is that the Magnacharger isn't 50 state legal..

?!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Not many of the supercharger kits are. Whipple, and KB for all s197's. Vortech, Paxton, Roushcharger, Procharger for 2005-2007. None of the tuner kits are.
hhMMM.. I could have sworn the paxton/vortechs were... oh well, luckily IM testing isn't very strict up here. Unless someone is obviously leaking black smoke out of their straight pipes lol.

I already have dual cut outs. Even with them closed, it's obvious they can be easily removed.. they're not gonna like that.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:06 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

IMHO you would be better off paying a little more and getting a good TS like the Whipple and KB or get the new style TVS from Edlebrock or Roush. The Magnacharger is an old roots style blower and is not very efficient. You will never be able to get very good performance from it even with higher boost. You can pay a little more now with the other choices and be able to turn up the performance later. Believe me you will want more power later, there is never enough power when you have 400 you will want 500 and so on.

Earl
Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Chris D
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
IMHO you would be better off paying a little more and getting a good TS like the Whipple and KB or get the new style TVS from Edlebrock or Roush. The Magnacharger is an old roots style blower and is not very efficient. You will never be able to get very good performance from it even with higher boost. You can pay a little more now with the other choices and be able to turn up the performance later. Believe me you will want more power later, there is never enough power when you have 400 you will want 500 and so on.

Earl
Earl, I purchased a Magnacharger so I obviously disagree with your analogy. I researched all types including centrifugal and twin screws before I made my decision. Including install and dyno tuning, the whole Magnacharger FI is only setting me back about $5k. Some of the twin screw kits cost more than that, then you have to get it installed and dyno tuned. In addition, you can only push the internals of the 4.6 so far without having to forge them...that cost more too. I personally don't need 600 HP as I don't drag race (or even street race). I just want more than the stock HP.....just my two cents worth.....

Quick Reply: Magnacharger??