Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

3rd gear going out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:01 AM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

Default bogging in 3rd gear

I just bought my car a few days ago. IT drives fine. I've gotten on the gas pretty good and everything holds up fine. Well last fine I finally got on it 100% WOT and really running through the gears hard. When I got to third gear it was like I hit a brick wall and nothing happens. But as soon as I let off the gas and press it back down, it engages and then takes off like normal. It's like it's just not grabbing in 3rd when I am putting it in gear at a higher rpm and really hard. On a scale of 1-10 as far as acceleration and shifting hardness goes, it only does it at about 8.5 and higher. It catches fine in every other gear, so obviously it isn't the clutch. What do you think it is, and also, how much do you think it will be to fix. Secondly, does ford have a powertrain warranty that is transferable? Mine is not a certified pre-owned. Mine is an 06 GT with about 9k miles. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by tbuff; 03-07-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:05 PM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

ok. so it's prolly not the transmission since it actually engages and the rpm's don't climb at all. talked to one of my techs today and he told me that since the car sat around for a while at the dealership, that there could be something on the MAF sensor. So i'm gonna clean that off, and clean the throttle body as well and see if that helps.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:30 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

It's the remote shifter linkage on our cars. When the engine and tranny torque over under load, the shift linkage binds up and does not let you select third gear. You need torque limiters or stiffer motor mounts to keep the engine and tranny from rotating so much under load. Then you won't miss third in high load situations.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:32 AM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
It's the remote shifter linkage on our cars. When the engine and tranny torque over under load, the shift linkage binds up and does not let you select third gear. You need torque limiters or stiffer motor mounts to keep the engine and tranny from rotating so much under load. Then you won't miss third in high load situations.
so I take it that this is very common in these cars then? How did something like that not get fixed by Ford?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbuff
so I take it that this is very common in these cars then? How did something like that not get fixed by Ford?
in the end, it's still a ford

I get that issue now and then, I find that it's fine if I'm real deliberate with my shifts, if I get a little lazy I'll mess up.

they have a tough job building these cars, 99% of people want it to be really quiet and smooth over us who want the most performance and are willing to sacrifice other things. so the majority wins and we have to fix stuff like this, it's not the end of the world.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Yea +1. Got the K-member brace with torque limiters...it's a really awesomely underrated mod.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
Yea +1. Got the K-member brace with torque limiters...it's a really awesomely underrated mod.
did that add any noticeable vibration or noise? looks like an easy mod to install.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 PM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
where can I find that?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
did that add any noticeable vibration or noise? looks like an easy mod to install.
Not that I could tell. Everything just felt stiffer and shifting was much more solid.

Originally Posted by tbuff
where can I find that?
Right here: http://www.brenspeed.com/che7la.html
Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

just went back and re-read your post. my car goes into gear. but it's when I let off the clutch and push the gas is when it basically just bogs hard. so I am able to select the gear

Quick Reply: 3rd gear going out?