Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Major ECM & Electrical Problems, [video incld]

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 PM
mikenavy
1st Gear Member

Update
They told me they called in their 'best' electrical guy. He was finally able to reproduce the problem. According to what he told me, A relay in the 'Smart Junction Box' wasn't clicking on. He said the SJB controls the power and grounds to the other main systems. So with this relay not working, most of the systems on that relay would go out randomly.

He reordered a new box but its on backorder, he said that a large amount of early build mustangs had a similar problem with a defective relay.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Glad to hear it was a definitive, known fix.

Question is though: What "early build" (VIN/date specific) Mustangs were affected by this defective relay?

There ought to be a TSB on this. Cripes.

Last edited by 7up; 03-11-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

So did they give you a loaner till the part comes in?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 AM
mikenavy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
So did they give you a loaner till the part comes in?
My Dad asked me the same thing when I told him they finally figured it out. Nope I'm just using the winter beater.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

That's one good thing about my dealer's service dept. They give you a loaner for any warranty work.

Of course, the gild on that lily is somewhat diminished when the car sits there for a day before anyone even looks at it even though I make an appt a week in advance...and I'm driving around in a Focus. :-|
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
mikenavy
1st Gear Member

A little update,
It turns out the reason the SJB has issues because of water damage. Upon further inspection they found that the plastic weather stripping near the passenger side windshield wiper was never glued in place. This strip is located under the black plastic cover, and since this was just sitting there lose, water would drip into the electrical area near the glove box.

So all in all, a new SJB was installed and some adhesive was used to fix the strip.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 PM
BlazzinSaddles

Glad to here!!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikenavy
Check this video out first, to see what happens. It did this on and off like 10 times before I caught it on video. I was sitting in a parking lot.
http://www.youtube.com/v/FBmht-OoMnY&hl=en_US&fs=1&

This has started happening a few weeks ago. Its extremely random and unpredictable when it happens. But it seems like when it does happen, it does it on and off for like a day or two.

I did have a Tillman All out tune on installed when it first happen. But even after returning it to stock it still will do it.

When it first happen the car was just parked in the driveway. The key fob wouldnt work so I had to use the key to open the door. I started it and it gave me all the errors in the video. So apparently it can occur even when the car is off.

It randomly went away, then happen again later that night. (which sucked since the headlights and turning signals die... =\ )

Usually when it happens, there will be a clicking sound from the glove box area, then everything electrical dies out. What's weird is the engine still runs fine and its drivable, but very unsafe imo.

I took it to the dealer, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the car, go figure. I guess I need to reproduce the error somehow while I'm there.

Any ideas what could be going on? I had the car for months before this happen, and I had the tillman tune a few weeks then it started to do this.

---
Update
They told me they called in their 'best' electrical guy. He was finally able to reproduce the problem. According to what he told me, A relay in the 'Smart Junction Box' wasn't clicking on. He said the SJB controls the power and grounds to the other main systems. So with this relay not working, most of the systems on that relay would go out randomly.

He reordered a new box but its on backorder, he said that a large amount of early build mustangs had a similar problem with a defective relay.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Originally Posted by mikenavy
A little update,
It turns out the reason the SJB has issues because of water damage. Upon further inspection they found that the plastic weather stripping near the passenger side windshield wiper was never glued in place. This strip is located under the black plastic cover, and since this was just sitting there lose, water would drip into the electrical area near the glove box.

So all in all, a new SJB was installed and some adhesive was used to fix the strip.

Anothe rmemeber pointed me here, i am having a very simiar issue. all my dash cluster guages are doing what yours are and the car is throwing errors for just about every system in the car. i will be talking to the service guy as soon as they open next. The first time it did this i was on a sync call and heard a pop but thought it was the call dropping out for a sec, it coudl have well been teh box mentioned here. however, my turn signals and radio continued working. I guess it could be an issue with a differnent fuse or whatever in teh SBJ box.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

I traded my 05 gt for an 11 gt precisely because of the water in the passenger compartment issue, as I have no indoor garage---I had resorted to putting on a car cover every time it looked cloudy---as the other guy wrote, do you know which vehicle build dates are affected?