Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2nd gear with 4.10s

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:46 AM
nightstang22

Default 2nd gear with 4.10s

i have an 06 GT auto with frpp 4.10 gears and my second gear is very short when it shifts to second the rpms are about 5000 and like that its at redline and shifting to third... i have nitto drag radials on there so its not like the tires are spinning. i used my diablo sport that came with my intake to adjust the speedo for the 4.10s but i dont have a custom tune for the car. i also have an aluminum driveshaft, underdrive pullies, and a full exhaust with long tubes. so if any of you auto guys with 4.10s can let me know what your 2nd gear is like i would appreciate it. also if it is not common what can i do to solve the problem. i plan on ordering a custom tune tm from american muscle with the bamachip 93 race tune and see if they can adjust my shift points to hold 2nd gear out longer? idk it just seems like 2nd gear is going by way to fast and that something isnt right
Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nightstang22
i have an 06 GT auto with frpp 4.10 gears and my second gear is very short when it shifts to second the rpms are about 5000 and like that its at redline and shifting to third... i have nitto drag radials on there so its not like the tires are spinning. i used my diablo sport that came with my intake to adjust the speedo for the 4.10s but i dont have a custom tune for the car. i also have an aluminum driveshaft, underdrive pullies, and a full exhaust with long tubes. so if any of you auto guys with 4.10s can let me know what your 2nd gear is like i would appreciate it. also if it is not common what can i do to solve the problem. i plan on ordering a custom tune tm from american muscle with the bamachip 93 race tune and see if they can adjust my shift points to hold 2nd gear out longer? idk it just seems like 2nd gear is going by way to fast and that something isnt right
I have a 93 breenspeed tune that does the same thing. I shift out of first at about 5500-6000 and it just goes to 5000 in second but by then i'm already doing 50mph so I don't care.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 AM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

Same thing here. My installer warned me about it and said I would need to get used to it. I try to do one of two things:

1) Drive very, very slow
2) Drive fast
Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

same for me but im use to it now and it doesnt bother me
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nightstang22
Your shift points will need changing.

I programmed mine to shift at: (BKT3)

1st to 2nd shifts at 18mph
2nd to 3rd shifts at 30mph
3rd to 4th shifts at 40mph
4th to 5th shifts at 55mph

The converter is also programmed to lock in 2nd through 5th at specific TP/RPM points.

You will need the Advantage lll software to make the changes.

The important thing to remember is setting the shift points at a value that will not allow the rpm to drop below 2K RPM after the shift. Otherwise the engine will seem to bog down a little.

Forgot to mention, when going to WOT the shift points are determined by RPM. During normal driving the shift points are based on TP relative to RPM

Last edited by GT John; 03-25-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added some more stuff
Old 03-24-2010, 01:28 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have the same car as you, 06 gt with an auto and 4.10 gears except I have a brenspeed tune for those gears. I asked if I could just adjust the the speedo with my sct? They said they needed to adjust my trans shifting points as well as the speedo, so they emailed me a new tune.

I would order up a tune from bama or brenspeed or somebody good and enjoy.

patrick
Old 03-24-2010, 04:45 PM
nightstang22

thanks for all your inputs! i finally had the chance to take the car out last night and i really focused on what rmp 2nd gear started at... i launched the car and it really pulls hard in first gear shifts to second and is at 5500 rmp so second gear only pulls for 500-700 rmp? idk to me that just doesnt seem right. a good friend of mine drove my car and he thought my tranny was going but if im not the only one with an auto GT with 4.10s who is having the same "problem" then i guess it isnt a problem after all thanks guys
Old 03-26-2010, 02:58 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The 5R55S is a close ratio trans with 2nd and 3rd being a decent amount lower than the manual.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

So you do need a new tune even if you can change the gear ratio with the SCT?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Mine is not an auto but like I said it still does the same thing. I like them though, I was doin about 60 in 5th and a Chrysler 300 started bumpin his gumbs, i smashed into third and just jetted out on him.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear with 4.10s