Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

delete plates review

Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Mikes BLK GT...why did you have to have them re-tune for 4:10 gears, couldn't you have done it with your tuner?

I am getting the Steeda deletes done on May 5th when I have Brenspeed install my Detroit Rocker cams. I studied over it quite a bit before I decided to do this mod for fear that I would loose low end, but with the gears, cams etc. Brenspeed assured me that with the retune for the deletes and the cams, all would be good.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I honestly feel no loss of any low end torque myself, I was expecting some loss and even thought about backing out at the last moment of the install. Whatever loss I may have had though, I don't feel it- what I have gained is nearly instant torque off the line.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Theoretically, the losses should only be at low load. I doubt Ford would throttle the intake valves during WOT operation. I assume they open the throttle wider during part throttle operation and then throttle the air through the intake runners to sort of "tune" the intake runners to increase efficiency. I'm going to install UDPs at the same time pretty much so I am hoping that the increased efficiency of the UDPs will cancel out any fuel economy losses from the delete plates, and I can just enjoy some more power. We will see how that goes lol.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Brenspeed told me a loss in torque low in the rev range is normal with the plates.

I feel the loss most when I'm cruising in 2nd gear at about 2000-2500rpm and then go to step on it from there.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I don't see why you guys are getting new tunes for your gear installs and not just using your current tune and adjusting the gear ratio with your tuners ...
Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwharton
Mikes BLK GT...why did you have to have them re-tune for 4:10 gears, couldn't you have done it with your tuner?

I am getting the Steeda deletes done on May 5th when I have Brenspeed install my Detroit Rocker cams. I studied over it quite a bit before I decided to do this mod for fear that I would loose low end, but with the gears, cams etc. Brenspeed assured me that with the retune for the deletes and the cams, all would be good.
I have 3.73's and I have an auto which requires a retune for the gear change since the shift points change.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:40 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I don't see why you guys are getting new tunes for your gear installs and not just using your current tune and adjusting the gear ratio with your tuners ...
I have an auto and the shift points have to be adjusted as well, when I needed a re-tune I wanted something less aggressive in first and had the shift points adjusted. I actually got two tunes with a less aggressive 1st gear. One bogged horribly and one was perfect, shifting at 5500rpm, ripping into 2nd, though I ended up not using it and just using the standard bamatune.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Are these the same ones ya'll are writing about? Already up to $100?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SALEE...#ht_4807wt_802
Old 04-13-2010, 02:53 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DLZ314
Are these the same ones ya'll are writing about? Already up to $100?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SALEE...#ht_4807wt_802
yup.. got mine for $80.

Nobody knew about them until someone made a thread about delete plates a few weeks ago. I baught a set the next day lol

Great little mod, I honestly should have done them way sooner. Its been about a little more than a week and I still appreciate the gains they made.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:05 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

..well, it's been about 2 weeks and the only negative thing I notice is the gas mileage drop. I am using about a 1/4 tank of gas every two days, and thats only driving about an hour a day on average (work, class, gf house). That and a sudden surge of acceleration from 2200 RPM up thats more aggressive than stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: delete plates review