Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

spec 2+ clutch and flywheel in near stock gt

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

Default spec 2+ clutch and flywheel in near stock gt

Im switching transmission set ups with a local forum member, hes running a spec 2+ clutch, mgw shifter, and spec flywheel. I was wondering if you guys think thats going to be too harsh or hard to drive for a bolt on dd gt?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I had the spec 2+ in for a short time. Hated that clutch. Couldn't shift it worth a damn under load, it would not fully disengage. The clutch is much more off/on when compared to the stock unit, it is very hard to slip. Much less daily drivable, not that you can't daily it. Honestly, I'd stay with the stock clutch as long as possible and with the mods you have, I wouldn't even be thinking of changing out the clutch for an aftermarket one, especially if you aren't running slicks at the track every weekend.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I was looking at the spec stage 3+, read good things about it but I'm going to wait until my stock clutch dies first.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

well the problem in my case is that i dont really get to use the stock clutch, im switching transmissions with him and he has a spec 2+ and flywheel on it. Do you think i should put in a stock clutch/flywheel after we switch?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

My Spec holds, but thats about all I can say. It would take a long paragraph to try and explain how good it DOESNT feel while dd.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:45 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

I've got the spec 3+ and spec billet steel flywheel in my car and it's really grown on me. It was very harsh while breaking it in, but after 1000 miles it smoothed out nicely. I also had a centerforce dual friction before it and I absolutely hated that clutch.

If you go for the 3+, make sure you get the "low pedal requirement" option and that keeps the pressure depressing the clutch close to if not equal to the stock clutch.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dysan
I've got the spec 3+ and spec billet steel flywheel in my car and it's really grown on me. It was very harsh while breaking it in, but after 1000 miles it smoothed out nicely. I also had a centerforce dual friction before it and I absolutely hated that clutch.

If you go for the 3+, make sure you get the "low pedal requirement" option and that keeps the pressure depressing the clutch close to if not equal to the stock clutch.
good to know
Old 04-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aclass
My Spec holds, but thats about all I can say. It would take a long paragraph to try and explain how good it DOESNT feel while dd.
please explain lol, maybe i should just order a stock clutch and put that in after we do the transmission swap. Currently im automatic
Old 04-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

So is this clutch anything like the stock clutch? Will it still have that space that will jerk the car forward about 3/4 of the way up. I dont really know how else to put it lol
Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch Red GT
So is this clutch anything like the stock clutch? Will it still have that space that will jerk the car forward about 3/4 of the way up. I dont really know how else to put it lol
To put it bluntly it's apiece of crap. Don't use it.

Quick Reply: spec 2+ clutch and flywheel in near stock gt