Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Driveline Vibration at Specific Speed Range (high mileage)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Default Driveline Vibration at Specific Speed Range (high mileage)

I have a 2005 GT auto w/ 110,000 miles on it. A few days ago I noticed some drive-line vibration between 30 and 55 mph. I can not notice any vibration above or below this range. Also I have manually forced different gears (3rd, 4th, etc) and noticed the same thing in each. I am by no means an expert but I was thinking it is something in the diff/axels/wheel bearings due to what I described. I would appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

There are all sorts of things it could be. I would start by putting in neutral at that speed and see if makes a difference. Checking tires for missing wheel weights.

Is it only onder acceleration or is it under decel also? Nothing leaking from the driveline?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
There are all sorts of things it could be. I would start by putting in neutral at that speed and see if makes a difference. Checking tires for missing wheel weights.

Is it only onder acceleration or is it under decel also? Nothing leaking from the driveline?
Thanks for the ideas. I put it in neutral and still had the same vibration result. I have noticed it under accel and decel. I have not jacked up the car yet to inspect, but did not see anything fluid on the diff cover.

I did notice that my wheel weights were gone from all four of my wheels. I had the the stick on type on the inside of the rim, so I did not notice them missing like perhaps I would have the clip on type. I am not sure when they were removed, but the Ford dealership rotated my tires when I got an oil change a little over a week ago.

Guess I need to go to a shop and see if my wheels are all our of balance now.

Scott
Old 04-15-2010, 07:25 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

So I had all four wheels rebalanced today and still have the vibration. I noticed today that when I turn (esp left) the vibration/hum go away. Thinking wheel bearing. Appreciate any other insight.

**edit ** I jacked the car up and did not feel any play in either front wheel. When I checked the rear wheels I found that on both I can push the wheel directly away and toward myself. Is this type of play normal?

Scott

Last edited by scoots; 04-15-2010 at 08:30 PM.