Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

broken shift linkage with tri-ax kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 PM
gt ron

Default broken shift linkage with tri-ax kit

I bought an '08 GT premium with the Steeda Tri-ax already installed. Over the last couple of months, 2nd has been a mystery gear, sometimes there, sometimes not. Last week I lost 5th and reverse so I got up underneath to see what's up. The shift linkage (OEM) looks like an elongated "C" with studs at both ends. The bolt at the Tri-ax end was fine. The one joining the linkage to the shift rod (which goes into the tranny) was sheared.

Any body ever had this problem? Can I get an aftermarket link arm? Right now it's held in place with cable ties and works quite well.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:17 AM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

Wow, I have a tri-ax and I beat the heck out of it and have never had a problem. My guess is that the bump stops were not set properly.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM
gt ron

Thanks Z06 killer. How do I make sure the bumps are set correctly. Can I find it somewhere on the web?

My boss has a red Z06 so I like your call sign.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gt ron
Thanks Z06 killer. How do I make sure the bumps are set correctly. Can I find it somewhere on the web?

My boss has a red Z06 so I like your call sign.

Once you get your linkage fixed what you want to do is pull the boot off and you should see what looks like adjuster bolts with jam nuts at the 12 o clock and 6 o clock positions on the shifter. What id did to adjust mine is backed them all the way out then put the shifter into 3rd gear and twist the 12 o clock one til it just nudged the lever, then I put in in 4th and did the same thing to the one in the 6 o clock position. Then run it through all the gears to make sure it just touches but does not keep it from going into gear. If it is good then lock down the jam nuts.

As a side note, I put a rubber cap on both nuts that I found on a set of RCA cables for a stereo just to stop the metal on metal clank when you are bangin gears hard.

As for my screen name, I did that because my neighbor bought a new Z06 right after I got my stang thinking he was going to be quicker, but he was quickly pissed off when he found out I was still quicker. I always tease him that I have less money tied up in my car than he does, my insurance is cheaper and I can carry 2 more people in a pinch if I had to. LOL

If you are wondering what it took to beat a Z06 in the 1/4 my go fast stuff is a forged stroker 5.0, Paxton Novi pushing 14 P.S.I., methanol injection, Spec stage 3+ clutch and 4.10 gears with a good set of drag radials.

Last edited by Z06 Killer; 04-19-2010 at 04:55 PM.