Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

vortech winter woes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Is this just with the Vortech or does this happen with other superchargers as well? Just wanting to know because I'm in the market and just got an assignment to southwest Illinois and I know it gets cold there.
I'd like to know as well.. gonna keep the vortech for this season and possibly upgrade next year... to a twin screw.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:31 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://forums.themustangsource.com/s....php?p=5066744

And if you live in an area with cold weather and you plan to drive you car in the Winter, you will damage the SC in cold weather.
eg. I live in Canada, i used my 1999 all year round. During one winter we had an extremely cold spell. (-30C, or -22F(or is that -86F), not sure about the conversion from Celcius).
In anycase, i started my car up one COLD morning and all the teeth on the SC shattered. It was replaced under warranty, but they told me that they would not do that again. I think they know have operating temperatures in affect, and won't honor your warranty if you go over them. So i ended up taking the SC out every winter.

pretty sure it was an externally lubed one, but still a crazy story..
Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 AM
stangpilot08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
don't have the sheet with me, but anything below 25.. I think. The oil is too cold in the unit, when you go to crank it.. it destroys it (from my understanding)
Is the warning for 25 or -25 degrees?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Dude. Just spend a couple grand on an old honda civic. Baby it, put a little work into it when/if it needs it, and let the mustang hibernate.

Saves you money on gasoline.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by stangpilot08
Is the warning for 25 or -25 degrees?
-25, but from what I have read, it's actually cooler than that when they gernade..

about 20 degrees cooler than the actual warning, so -5/-10??

Originally Posted by Riptide
Dude. Just spend a couple grand on an old honda civic. Baby it, put a little work into it when/if it needs it, and let the mustang hibernate.

Saves you money on gasoline.
I wish I could.. but this year all my money is going towards my final year at the university as well as car payments and books. Already blew money on a new motor and tools. The only way I was able to afford the vortech was the payment plan, 12 months 0% financing, same as cash.. though even thats starting to be a burden lol

If I get rid of it, gonna pay off the loan on it and only be in dept for school.. when I graduate, gonna get me a new blower!

)-:
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Good Christ man. You need to take some courses on managing your finances. You blew all your money on a mustang, new motor, tools, and financed a supercharger. And on top of it all you have Alaska winters to deal with.

WTF were you thinking??
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Riptide
Good Christ man. You need to take some courses on managing your finances. You blew all your money on a mustang, new motor, tools, and financed a supercharger. And on top of it all you have Alaska winters to deal with.

WTF were you thinking??
I didn't expect the motor to gernade on me like that.. that took a big chunk out my funds (about $3,000) , could have been worse.. Ford wanted about $6k for everything maybe more lulz.. no way.

I can afford everything else... for now.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

I drove mine all last winter, but the coldest it gets here is around 0. I just bought a kia forte koup as a daily driver though.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Formula
I drove mine all last winter, but the coldest it gets here is around 0. I just bought a kia forte koup as a daily driver though.
damn.. 0 is a walk in the park lol. It would get so cold up here, my nose hairs would freeze and my hands would crack. Is the forte that new civic looking kia?? those are kinda cool actually lulz
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I wonder what the oil content for the supercharger is?? maybe I can add something to it to make it more durable during the winter and less prone to the cold conditions???
This is the best idea yet. IMO, I would research an oil that could protect the supercharger in the summer and still have an extremely cold pour rate. Something in a 0W-XX maybe, but not sure. You sound like a guy who could use the experts at BITOG!

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums

I'm really curious how the Amsoil 0W-30 oil would do in the supercharger. It flows WELL in cold weather and still protects like a thin 40 weight when heated to normal operating temperatures. IMO, you would think Vortec would have looked into better lubrication to fix the problem.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 06-11-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: vortech winter woes...