Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

vortech winter woes...

Old 06-11-2010, 02:56 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

thought about doing that too, but it has to do with the mechanical clearances of the gears being driven at exact start up. Something about the metals changing slightly in size or something like that during very cold weather. Trannies are the same but we don't mash on it right away, the same way the blower spins the belt driven gear as it starts up and stays running. The unit needs to be warmed up good before even starting it.. the same with tvs units. The only unit I heard will be okay are the old school roots type ( m90 or magnacharger)
Old 06-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

I wonder if you could put a clutch or something on it to not spin it until warm up? Or even just put the stock belt/tune back on when its really cold...
Old 06-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
damn.. 0 is a walk in the park lol. It would get so cold up here, my nose hairs would freeze and my hands would crack. Is the forte that new civic looking kia?? those are kinda cool actually lulz
yes, its almost the exact same thing as a civic for a couple grand less lol.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Formula
I wonder if you could put a clutch or something on it to not spin it until warm up? Or even just put the stock belt/tune back on when its really cold...
thought about the belt thing but the damn idlers are in the way...

yes, its almost the exact same thing as a civic for a couple grand less lol.
those damn fortes are pretty sweet lol

So you drove around when it was 0 degrees out and there were no issues?? thats crazy.. I'd be worried silly about the blower!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

thats crazy.. I'd be worried silly about the blower!
yes, I even left it outside the week we got 30" of snow
Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

yes, I even left it outside the week we got 30" of snow
damn, thats right up there with our winters! rofl

..so you really drove her out during the entire winter without any issues when it's been down to 0 degrees??

thats crazy.. makes me want to hold onto mine (although uninstall it) and see how low the temps actually get.. I doubt it's ever been -25 for a few decades actually...
Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

damn, thats right up there with our winters! rofl

..so you really drove her out during the entire winter without any issues when it's been down to 0 degrees??
yep, not one issue. I did let it start and idle until the temp gauge moved over before taking off.

I do recommend getting blizzaks for it, they are awesome. I would be going up hills that 4x4 suvs were sliding backwards on.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:51 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

yep, not one issue. I did let it start and idle until the temp gauge moved over before taking off.

I do recommend getting blizzaks for it, they are awesome. I would be going up hills that 4x4 suvs were sliding backwards on.
damn.. kinda makes me want to gamble and take a chance, leaving it in this winter (O_o)

Blizzaks do look pretty aggressive (threads) I have some Nokian Hakka IIs and they are bad ***!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

damn.. kinda makes me want to gamble and take a chance, leaving it in this winter (O_o)

Blizzaks do look pretty aggressive (threads) I have some Nokian Hakka IIs and they are bad ***!
I would say the big thing would be the oil in the v2s because it has to come from the motor. As long as you dont start up a v3 and floor it, I dont think the oil being a little thicker would hurt it.

As far as the the impeller metal expanding, what do all the factory turbo cars do? They have almost the exact same design, and its not like the exhaust heats them up instantly...

If it is -25, I would worry more about the motor than the supercharger.

Last edited by Formula; 06-13-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I would say the big thing would be the oil in the v2s because it has to come from the motor. As long as you dont start up a v3 and floor it, I dont think the oil being a little thicker would hurt it.

As far as the the impeller metal expanding, what do all the factory turbo cars do? They have almost the exact same design, and its not like the exhaust heats them up instantly...
That's still very interesting that you drive year round.. I'd actually be saving a ton of money if I were to keep my vortech and intercool it. I just have to worry about December and January, other months get warmer and warmer after.

turbos run on an impeller/compressor design but not like how the superchargers that require a gears that are belt driven.. those gears are the trouble makers when in cold weather, not the blades themselves necessarily, that's what I have been told anyways.. and it does make sense.. then again, they are talking about -25, which is horribly freezing anyways, not just "chilly out" lol

ditto about the -25 comment rofl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vortech winter woes...