Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
View Poll Results: Tow it or Drive it?
Limp from dealer to tuner for free
0%
Spend a bunch of $$ for a tow truck
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Odd Question for KB guys.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Default Odd Question for KB guys.

I need to get my car reflashed by Ford back to the stock tune so my tuner can have his way with it.

He said that once the Stock tune is taken off of the car & put on the SCT tuner that KB gives ya, if you revert back to it it's still got SCT footprints all over it. We are not going to use SCT for the retune.

Question is, can I drive the car from the Ford dealer to the shop (10 miles away)
if I open up the valet bypass on the KB.

I just need to get it to the shop & really don't want to tow it there.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MacGyverGTP
Question is, can I drive the car from the Ford dealer to the shop (10 miles away) if I open up the valet bypass on the KB.

ok i voted

Last edited by hammeron; 05-10-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Take the car to the tuners and take the computer out. Take the computer to your Ford dealer. Bring it back and install in your car.

Or... Get a computer out of a junkyard car. Won't need to reflash, still have your kb tune and original computer.

All taken care of and didn't have to drive it without a tune.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Just a little feedback.I returned my nonintercooled ford racing tune to stock and tried to make it to the dealer who was about 3 miles away. My car sounded horrible,wanting to stall, erratic idle, etc. I made it around the block and towed it to the shop.I have had to replace the PCM since. Did this do the damage? I don't know but I would never do it again. I vote BIG NO!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Dumb question. I thought you could disconnect the battery say, overnight, and it would reflash. Or is that something else?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up This is the info I needed!

Originally Posted by Daryl06
Just a little feedback.I returned my nonintercooled ford racing tune to stock and tried to make it to the dealer who was about 3 miles away. My car sounded horrible,wanting to stall, erratic idle, etc. I made it around the block and towed it to the shop.I have had to replace the PCM since. Did this do the damage? I don't know but I would never do it again. I vote BIG NO!
Thanks! I knew someone on here had to have tried it. I was thinking of reflashing her back to the SCT's verson of stock & try driving her around the block to see what would happen, but I think you pretty much just answered that for me.

I assume you had the KB Valet bypass bleeding off the boost, right?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Default This will reset engine codes, not the tune.

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
Dumb question. I thought you could disconnect the battery say, overnight, and it would reflash. Or is that something else?
If you don't have a tuner to reset engine trouble codes (DTC's), the battery trick is how you do it. But the actual tune is in Non-volitile memory & sticks with the computer until reflashed.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I just reread your "Question was for KB guys" I have a Whipple.I never touched anything to do with the boost accuator/bypass valve. I got nowhere near putting boost in it.I don't even know if it would have gone into boost. I swear it would have blown up.Might be two different scenarios but I think the outcome would still be the same.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Don't do it. Even with the bypass open your stock tune does not know about your upgraded plugs, injectors, etc. You will be asking for trouble.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up Thanks, I've made the decision...

I will have it towed.
I'm just going to find the closest Ford dealer to the shop & try to find someone who can tow it the chapest.

Thanks for help with the decision.

Quick Reply: Odd Question for KB guys.