MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   To Tune, or not to tune (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/601648-to-tune-or-not-to-tune.html)

jdemott 05-18-2010 08:47 AM

To Tune, or not to tune

So I just bought a 2005 GT. The engine light is on (usually), but I can clear with the Diablo. The error is "lean" in both banks. The guy I bought it from says I just need to update my diablo and install an updated tune, because when he got the Diablo in 2005 tunes weren't ready for the extras he put on:
-Pro-5.0 Billet Short Throw Shifter
-Magnaflow 3” Stainless Steel Catback exhaust w/4” Tips
-Western Motorsports Cold Air Intake w/80mm MAF
-Western Motorsports Ram Air Box
-Diablosport Predator Tuner

Can you guys help me know what's best? Should I (a):
-download the new firmware and update the diablo tuner
-reflash with stock tune (is that already stored in the diablo?)
-put on a new tune (will the diablo pick new/best one automatically?)

or should I (b):
take it to my mechanic and ask him if he knows why the check eng light comes on?

Thanks,
Jared

Blacksmoke 05-18-2010 09:23 AM

First off, do u even know what running lean is?
You do not need a mechanic to bring it too.
The computer is telling you exactly what is wrong.
You do need to fix it with another tune.

It is NOT good to have your car running lean.
You also really want to order a tune from a company that does them IMO.
Perhaps a Bama Tune.
I would not go with the tuner's tune and no you cannot use the stock tune with the mods you have done on the car.

Misbehavin 05-18-2010 09:30 AM

Despite the fact that some CAI kits state they don't require a tune, sometimes they will still cause the engine to run too lean and throw a code. So you really should get the car tuned for your upgrades. As Blacksmoke mentioned, running lean is not a good thing. Engine damage can result if the lean condition is not fixed, and simply clearing the lean codes isn't a fix. It is possible your lean condition is coming from something besides the tune (i.e. fuel issues) but the tune is the likely source of the code.

I'm not sure if the Diablo has any preprogrammed canned options for that combination or not. I'd really just look into having someone make a custom tune for your car. That's the best route.

Nuke 05-18-2010 09:37 AM

ABSOLUTELY dump the existing tune and contact Doug at American Muscle and get some good custom tunes. That'll clear the code plus improve your performance. This is a no-brainer. The Diablo firmware has NOTHING to do with the tune. Most likely you have the canned tune (trash) and still have not unleashed some of your engine's potential.

Blacksmoke 05-18-2010 09:45 AM

I love it when ppl use the term unleashed on here hahaha.
Again Nuke is right not only are you risking engine damage as I said, but your power gain from your mods without a proper tune are flat out MINIMAL.

GO HERE:

www.americanmuscle.com
as he said.... contact Doug.
They are great at tunes with the Diablo

ski 05-18-2010 01:30 PM

According to the AM site, they write custom tunes only for the SCT tuner, and not for the Diablosport Predator. So the quickest and cheapest way to get the correct tune for your WMS CAI is to update your Predator.

jdemott 05-18-2010 02:39 PM

Um, ok, so I got two different opinions. Two said go and get a professional tune, and one said just update the Predator. Which should I do? As for running lean, no I don't know what that means (just getting into this). Also, does anyone have Doug's phone or email? How much do his services cost?
Thx,
Jared

Nuke 05-18-2010 02:43 PM

Contact Doug at AM. He used to be the owner/operator of Bamachips and used to write Diablo based tunes. The AM site may not have updated since they recently hired him on. I'd be very surprised if AM isn't using his skills to coral the Diablo folks out there.

jdemott 05-18-2010 02:49 PM

I just called the 800 number on AM, and the rep I got (not Doug) said that they're not doing diablo anymore. They suggested I visit http://www.brookspeed.com/

Misbehavin 05-18-2010 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jdemott (Post 7009934)
As for running lean, no I don't know what that means (just getting into this).

It's means your air to fuel ratio has a substantially higher amount of air than fuel. This condition leads to detonation in the combustion chambers, and that can lead to engine damage.