Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

JBA SS shorty headers over BBK ceramic?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 AM
GTCS08

Originally Posted by Rob72
If you want decent gains from shorty headers you'll need a high flow catted x pipe or an off road x pipe like they run with long tubes. That's a major reason why long tubes give so much power over the stock exaust. Cats are the most restrictive part of your exaust system.
I was thinking about doing an x-pipe down the road, but keep that on the down low in front of my wife, thanks!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 AM
GTCS08

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
What is the bottom line difference in power gains between most shorty headers and long tubes?
from what I can tell in my limited research, any where from 5-15 hp bump depending on whether you go with an o/r or catted mid-pipe. But I'm a newbie so I'm probably wrong.

Nice color, btw! How do you like your wheels? I have the chrome bullitt wheels on mine and was pleasantly surprised about all the complements I've been getting.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:56 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I like the wheels. It came with the 18" wheels, and I bought the 19" rims/tires off Ebay. I like the stock look, just wanted the best stock look. My only complaint is that they're not wide enough to give the car an aggressive stance.

I'm also reading that, while the long tubes give better hp, they cause a loss in torque, compared to the shorties . . .
Old 05-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

I have found out that there's a big difference between advertised rwhp and actual rwhp in many cases. Also all shorty headers come with 5/8 primaries and long tubes can come with 5/8 or 3/4 primaries which will help determine where your power band is.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM
dandebstang

Default shorty headers

i installed a set of BBK ceramic shorties with magnaflow high flow cats. i got alot more throttle responce and low end torque. you can definitly feel the power increase. if your under the car putting on headers go ahead and do the mid pipe.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I have JBA shorties, cermaic coated and I can say they are awesome quality. I daily drive mine and even in the winter and the headers still look like new.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:42 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Not sure if it's been thought of, but Pypes also has a shorty header over at AM. They sell it for about $275 shipped, which is a great deal. And I absolutely trust their quality over BBK's stuff, especially from what I've read in this thread.

Now, I'm not sure if money is an issue, but installing these can be pricey if done by a shop. Maybe someone here can chim in and let us know how much it cost for theirs to be installed. OR if they installed it themselves. I've heard 4+ hours on shorty headers.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:25 PM
dandebstang

Default bbk shorties

i installed my BBK shorties and magnaflow high flow cats in about 6 hrs. it's really not that hard. just have some patients and a helping hand. i reused the stock manifold studs but i did have to remove 2 or 3 of them due to clearance. i also reused the stock manifold gaskets. just do what the instructions tell you and you'll be fine.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

If I could do it over again, I'd most likely go with Long tube headers and a mid pipe with high flow cats. The JBA headers are great quality but the gains in return aren't neck snapping quite honestly. They most likely keep the temps down (especially with the blower) but I really have nothing to compare it to... just a lighter wallet lol
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I installed my JBA shorty headers by myself in my girlfriends garage. It took me about 18 hours spread over 3 days, but 6 of those hours were trying to get the manifold studs out of the cylinder head. I was taking my time and going really slow as well. If you do the install yourself, keep in mind the double nut method for getting the manifold studs out of the head. I tried every other method and nothing worked till i double nutted the studs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JBA SS shorty headers over BBK ceramic?