Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Throttle body and air intake question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:00 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Default Throttle body and air intake question.

I am pretty new to the newer mustangs and just picked up an 06 gt last week. The car has a full "pypes" x pipe exhaust ststem and im planning on adding other bolt ons. I want to buy the ford racing throttle body and cold air intake. although i dont want to have to tune the com. and run premium fuel, i drive this car evry day and the extra 20cents a gallon ads up quick...... so is it possible to install both or one or the other without tuning? also what brands do you guys recomed from experience? ALL comments will be appreciated regarding any info you have on this subject thx!

p.s. i installed the hurst comp. plus shifter a few days ago. would highly recomend it!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Skip the TB it wont gain you anything worth a damn. and yes you should get a tune for the intake and run better fuel.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

you run the risk of running lean and getting a check engine light with a CAI and no tuning.

save your money on the throttle body. you can easily go past 400 RWHP with your stock TB with no issues.

I'd talk with a tuner like Brenspeed and get a tuner + CAI combo.

to be fair though, you will never re-coup the cost of a CAI & tuner in terms of mileage savings. You are looking at $400-600 easily to save about $2 per tank of gas.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

haha so the air intake will save a little mileage? not enough to compensate for the 20cents though. I know it sounds i am being cheap, but hp=more gas!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:09 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

You're not being cheap at all if you're thinking about getting a throttle body. Unless you are forced induction, or have cams, headers and intake manifold and plan on spinning the motor to 7k rpms, the throttle body is just not worth it.

If you want performance gains, get a CAI and a tune which will be approx the same price as the ford racing throttle body and get you much more power than the throttle body would get you.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The FRPP TB is overrated unless you have the
hardware to back-up the added airflow...
Old 05-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
haha so the air intake will save a little mileage? not enough to compensate for the 20cents though. I know it sounds i am being cheap, but hp=more gas!
no

you are going to spend at least $400 for a tuner + tunes...and if you shop around you can get a CAI for pretty cheap

but you will never reach a point where your gas savings pay you back for the money spent. we are only talking 1-2 mpg at best here for gains.

the car will be alot more fun to drive, and yes you will see HP gains.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I understand im not going to save mileage with CAI, i just dont want to run 91 octane. which im understanding cant be done....
Old 05-22-2010, 08:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you have to pay to play, you are talking about like $200/year for the extra gas AND if you LOST 2 mpg
Old 05-23-2010, 12:27 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

that does make sense an exrta 200 a year isnt bad if you think about it...

I was doing some research on the breenspeed tuners and it was saying you COULD run unleaded 87. anybody know about this?

Quick Reply: Throttle body and air intake question.