MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   SCT programmer from Brenspeed - side effects (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/602745-sct-programmer-from-brenspeed-side-effects.html)

shelbygt2007 05-25-2010 12:47 PM

SCT programmer from Brenspeed - side effects

In addition to the Paxton Novi 2200 SL s/c I recently added Pypes LT headers (with off-road X pipe). Also installed a GT500 fuel pump to support an SCT tune from Brenspeed. Once I uploaded the Brenspeed tune a couple of noticeable effects were:

- smell of fuel
- increased fuel consumption (around 20% increase)
- more smoke emission from the tail pipes when I step on it

My initial impression was that the car is running too rich. I called Brenspeed about these side effects and they said its normal as I don't have cats. Did anyone with a B'speed tune have similar results? Thanks!

cidsamuth 05-25-2010 03:30 PM

Maybe it's different with the supercharger, but every tune I've ever used leaned the car up, causing it to use less fuel. Further, while I can understand a raw exhaust smell without the cats, I can't imagine the smell of raw fuel is normal.

SpartaPerformance 05-25-2010 07:40 PM

Did the SC kit you have require the GT-500 pump kit? These vehicles use a returnless fuel rail, also is the tune adapted for the long tubes?

shelbygt2007 05-26-2010 03:35 AM

The Paxton S/C kit doesn't require the fuel pump upgrade, but the Brenspeed tune requires either a Kenne Bell boost-a-pump or the GT500 fuel pump. The tune is adapted for the long tubes (Brenspeed included this).

It smells like it is running rich, not necessarily the smell of raw fuel but strong exhaust fumes. Gas mileage is also between 20 - 30% worse so I'm thinking of putting it back on the old tune...

07 GT/CS 05-26-2010 08:00 AM

I'm not supercharged but when I got my tune from Brenspeed it smelled like I was running really rich and I also noticed I was burning through a lot more fuel. I called Brenspeed and they said that all was normal. I didn't like that answer because a couple of my buddies have the same mods that I do (different manufactures). So I went and got a custom tune and fixed both problems.

Formula 05-29-2010 08:32 AM

My car ran really rich on the brenspeed tune (v3 non-HO). My back bumper is stained from it. If I drove around with the windows down I could smell it running rich and it only gets around 12 mpg city now.

Its getting retuned in 2 weeks by Don Lasota (I added a custom air to air intercooler, 3.4 pulley, lt headers, anderson power pipe(maf-less), driveshaft, lcas, clutch, vortech race bpv vented to the atmosphere, dual gt500 pumps, 60# injectors and an hpx blow-through maf).

ShaneM 05-29-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Formula (Post 7029631)
My car ran really rich on the brenspeed tune (v3 non-HO). My back bumper is stained from it. If I drove around with the windows down I could smell it running rich and it only gets around 12 mpg city now.

Its getting retuned in 2 weeks by Don Lasota (I added a custom air to air intercooler, 3.4 pulley, lt headers, anderson power pipe(maf-less), driveshaft, lcas, clutch, vortech race bpv vented to the atmosphere, dual gt500 pumps, 60# injectors and an hpx blow-through maf).

How long have you driven it with the new tune? I smells fuel for a while after I had my blower installed. I was told the car had to relearn fuel trims and might run rich for a while post tune and install.

steelcomp 05-30-2010 02:01 PM

I've got over 100K mi on my XCal II/Brenspeed tune. I get consistent average 25mpg. and as much as 28 on the highway on the 91 tune. I ran the 89oct. tune for a while, then switched to the 91. When I first got it, I didn't like the increased throttle response ratio, so I asked them to slow it down to stock, and they were glad to. I also have a 110 octane tune for the track. I've had zero issues with any tune, and all have performed flawlessly.

Formula 05-30-2010 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ShaneM (Post 7029756)
How long have you driven it with the new tune? I smells fuel for a while after I had my blower installed. I was told the car had to relearn fuel trims and might run rich for a while post tune and install.

6 months as a daily driver

GT John 06-01-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by shelbygt2007 (Post 7022348)
In addition to the Paxton Novi 2200 SL s/c I recently added Pypes LT headers (with off-road X pipe). Also installed a GT500 fuel pump to support an SCT tune from Brenspeed. Once I uploaded the Brenspeed tune a couple of noticeable effects were:

- smell of fuel
- increased fuel consumption (around 20% increase)
- more smoke emission from the tail pipes when I step on it

My initial impression was that the car is running too rich. I called Brenspeed about these side effects and they said its normal as I don't have cats. Did anyone with a B'speed tune have similar results? Thanks!

Take the car and have it dyno'd. power. torqe and a/f. then fax the print out to Brespeed.