Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

is a CAI worth getting in a 10 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:56 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
There is power to be had over the factory 2010 CAI system. We worked very hard to squeeze some usable power out of it.

Including tuning you will see gains of 20 to 25hp and up to 25ft/lbs of torque.
I respect that you came on here to defend this product, and your CAI seems to be well received. However, what you haven't addressed is this: How much HP could you have gotten with the tune and factory airbox versus the tune and your CAI?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

wow that seems great... I am waiting till after my warranty is over (since I had some major transmission issues and do not want the hassle of going through a warranty claim even though a cold air intake will not cause transmission failure). I really want to get the CAI/tuner... but I really just want to go ***** out and get the supercharger. Especially with the new phased R2300 roushchargers... really giving whipple a run for its money
Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I cant justify spending $400 for a CAI..that is just way to much for what it is. if anything I would get the JLT or the tunable induction kit
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I cant justify spending $400 for a CAI..that is just way to much for what it is. if anything I would get the JLT or the tunable induction kit
We all have our budgets, but look at ours and JLT's in person and you can see why one costs a lot less than the other.

Its not way to much for what it is if you actually see the differences. Which there are many.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

The bummer is the air box on the Steeda unit is much nicer than any other but the tube and MAF is nicer on the JLT. I'll get a tune on my stock 2010 CAI and use the same tuner later for SC install.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:10 PM
f4ifrank
2nd Gear Member

I sent an email to Brenspeed and asked this very question. I have a 2010 and was wondering the same thing. Here was their response:

"You will definitely see gains over the stock air intake if you switch. It
does flow better than the older models (05-09), but it still a huge
improvement to go with something aftermarket. I would highly recommend the
JLT 110mm Carbon Fiber CAI and Tuner pkg."

Don't know if this is a sales pitch or not but Brenspeed seems to have a pretty good reputation.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 PM
f4ifrank
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
We all have our budgets, but look at ours and JLT's in person and you can see why one costs a lot less than the other.

Its not way to much for what it is if you actually see the differences. Which there are many.
So what size is your intake Steeda?
Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 PM
paulbrl

Hi SteedaGus,

Thanks for posting up this data! I was thinking I was going to go with just a drop-in filter and tune on my 2010 and get most of the benefits but this data shows that there is a lot more to it than just the peak figures.

Mine is a daily driver which sees a bit of traffic and I'm therefore most interested in the low end to midrange and an improvement in the laggy throttle response without turning it into a hair trigger. The torque curves you posted show very significant improvement where it counts for me.

I have a question though - the stock intake curve, is that with a tune or stock?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:18 PM
paulbrl

I think I can answer my own question and maybe Cidsamuth's from the top of the page.

Looking at C&L's excellent write up regarding their CAI for the 2010 (http://www.cnlperformance.com/2010GT.html) and SteedaGus' post we can glean the following information.

A stock 2010 GT has around 275 rwhp and 289 rwtq. This ties up with a recent post by Wilkinda (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ock-motor.html) where he posted curves for his very healthy stocker.

The stock intake curves posted by SteedaGus show 287rwhp and 294rwtq so I would expect this to be tuned. Making assumptions for fuel grade & dyno consistency the stock airbox is good for a 12rwhp and 5rwtq gains with a tune at the peaks.

C&L were able to coax around 290rwhp and 303rwtq with a 91 tune on their intake. They had big torque gains all the way from 2500rpm upward.

Steeda's data shows 294rwhp and 314rwtq and big gains in the low and midrange.

SteedaGus doesn't state which fuel Steeda used for their dyno runs whereas the C&L write-up is for 91 premium. The slighly higher figures Steeda saw may be as a result of running 93.

The stock figures suggest an 11.3% to 11.4% driveline loss in our cars so a tune alone should result in around 329hp and 331lb-ft at the crank using Steeda's figures. With one of the recognised high-end intakes fitted and tune on 91 we should be seeing 335hp and 350lb-ft at the crank (averaging C&L's and Steeda's data).

This bears out the general opinion that you don't get much in the way of additional power with a good CAI on top of a tune but there is a lot of good ol' grunt in the midrange to be had and that's what the "butt dyno" feels!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:04 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Paul,

There are many flaws in the logic, namely that the numbers you are comparing aren't on the same cars, the same dynos, the same weather conditions, etc, etc. A 5 or 10 hp blip either direction on any of these could have changed everything.

Though, in the end, I still agree with your conclusion

Quick Reply: is a CAI worth getting in a 10 GT