Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

is a CAI worth getting in a 10 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Default is a CAI worth getting in a 10 GT

So i am trying to figure out what i should buy...I was going to get one of the CAI/SCT packages but I keep reading that the 2010 GT has a good intake already and a CAI for it wont really offer much..So i was thinking to save money just get the SCT tuner and a K&N panel filter and call it a day on that.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

I was thinking the same thing. I read somewhere that the guys at Brenspeed said the CAI wasn't needed on the '10 and the tune would be enough and that replacing the stock '10 intake with an aftermarker CAI would only gain 3-4 additional HP.

I do love the look of the Steeda CAI though.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:00 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by incorrigible
I was thinking the same thing. I read somewhere that the guys at Brenspeed said the CAI wasn't needed on the '10 and the tune would be enough and that replacing the stock '10 intake with an aftermarker CAI would only gain 3-4 additional HP.

I do love the look of the Steeda CAI though.

Another member here confirmed exactly this. He added an aftermarket CAI and gained about 4hp over the stock CAI, both cases were post-tune, and I believe dyno verified.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:02 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

hmmm..sounds like I should just get the Panel filter and SCT and save myself like 200bucks.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Althought the CAI & tune combo won't gain you as much on a '10 as opposed to an '05 thru '09, you will still gain more with the combo over just the tune. And forget the drop-in filters; useless. 4 RWHP from the addition of the CAI to the tune is decent considering you get roughly the same power from UDP's, aluminum DS, delete plates, etc. which cost equivalent money to the CAI.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

There are worthwhile gains with our setup. See this thread for more info and results:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...d.php?t=477649
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

This comes up a bunch.

A tune alone will feel great. A tune with CAI will feel great.

But, adding a CAI/tune will not net that much over the tune alone on a 2010. They look good when you raise the hood, though . . .
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
This comes up a bunch.

A tune alone will feel great. A tune with CAI will feel great.

But, adding a CAI/tune will not net that much over the tune alone on a 2010. They look good when you raise the hood, though . . .

True..... Get some long tube headers, wake up the neighbors!!!! LOL

patrick
Old 05-26-2010, 02:49 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

There is power to be had over the factory 2010 CAI system. We worked very hard to squeeze some usable power out of it.

I cant really tell if any of you looked at the link I provided. So I'll just take the opportunity to post the info here.

As you can see our system ties into the factory air routing system which is a very good system from the factory. It has good surface area so it is not restricting and provides the coolest air feed into the system. We are the only manufacturer that took the time and effort to properly design a system that would tie into the factory cold air duct.

Its hard to see with the bumper on, so here is a shot of where that air ducting starts at with the bumper removed...

Here is a picture of the complete assembly installed in the vehicle.

Including tuning you will see gains of 20 to 25hp and up to 25ft/lbs of torque. Now, this is NOT a peak power number, but gains in different points of the power band.

More often than not people look at a peak number and nothing else. When you see the dyno sheet below, you will see peak to peak was only about 8 horsepower.

However from 2200 to around 4600 is where we saw the gains mentioned above. That is worthwhile, usable power you will feel on the street which is where you spend most of the time in that powerband. See the dyno sheet below.

We are also incorporating many of the unique design features of this intake setup into the 2011 5.0 intake setup we have under development, including the link into the factory cold air duct.

We have very high hopes for the 5.0 and hope to be able to squeeze some good power out of that car.

Here is a sneak peak at a early 2011 5.0 development piece....

Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

I have said this many times there are more gains from a CAI than you will see on a dyno. Can't compare them to mods like UDP's or drive shafts.

And I would rather run a K&N drop-in over the factory paper filter.

Quick Reply: is a CAI worth getting in a 10 GT