Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Man, I think I wiped out my tune.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Default Man, I think I wiped out my tune.

I didn't see any answers here:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...-now-what.html

Guys I disconnected my battery because I planned on wiring up some gauges. I think I wiped out my custom tune. I thought a tune would be "saved" and not have to worry about it resetting. Dumb move on my part.

The shift points became smoother. There is no kick when she should have started boosting. My speedometer re-cal'd, and is now off (I have shorter tires, so I had to cal my speedo). Plus, I have my Trinity up for monitoring, and now my FRP is fluctuating between 35-60, instead of sitting tight at 44-45.

It was custom-tuned with an SCT, which I have on-hand. Can I plug that up to see if that tune is still saved on the device? Or would that do more damage than good?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Disconnecting the battery should not wipe out your tune, but if you have the SCT with the tune on it you can definitely just reload it. I do that about every other month or so anyway when it feels like the adaptive learning has softened it up some.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Yep...re-applied the tune.

I can't say that I am completely buying into the re-tune to get back my 491/420, though. I need to get it back to my shop to have them take a look. There are still inconsistencies between what I re-applied and what I lost. For instance, when I started it up cold before I ****ed with my battery, it idled high (2k) for about 8 seconds, and then dropped off. I cranked it a little while ago (after it sat for a couple hours), and it idled right around 900rpm. Granted, it's a hot day here in the DC area, but still.

Maybe I'm nuking it, but even though I felt the "boost kick", it didn't feel like it should have.

Anyway, thanks fella. I'm taking it to the shop this week to have them once-over it.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moochman4life
Yep...re-applied the tune.

I can't say that I am completely buying into the re-tune to get back my 491/420, though. I need to get it back to my shop to have them take a look. There are still inconsistencies between what I re-applied and what I lost. For instance, when I started it up cold before I ****ed with my battery, it idled high (2k) for about 8 seconds, and then dropped off. I cranked it a little while ago (after it sat for a couple hours), and it idled right around 900rpm. Granted, it's a hot day here in the DC area, but still.

Maybe I'm nuking it, but even though I felt the "boost kick", it didn't feel like it should have.

Anyway, thanks fella. I'm taking it to the shop this week to have them once-over it.
If the engine is even remotely warm, you won't have the cold start high idle when you start it. It would take anywhere between 4-8 hours to be cold enough to have the cold start not function, depending on the temperature the car was parked in.

Also - your lack of "boost kick" could also be attributed to the heat wave we're seeing right now. Depending on how aggressive your tune is, it's even possible your knock sensors are pulling timing when you get into boost compared to when the weather was a bit chillier. This will result in (potentially) a lot less power.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

UPDATE: took it back to the shop last night. What I re-flashed was the correct tune. Vista, everything made perfect sense. Thanks fella!