Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Clutch help needed..Spec 3+

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Default Clutch help needed..Spec 3+

I recently had the Spec 3+ clutch kit installed in my car at a local clutch shop. They also installed an aluminum flywheel and new slave cylinder and pilot bearing. All they do is install clutches and work on transmissions.

The owner of the shop has 28 years of experience installing clutches and working on transmissions. Well I got a call from the shop and they proceed to let me that all of the gears go in fine with the exception of reverse. According to the shop owner the car will only go into reverse when the car is turned off. The car will not go into reverse when the car is on. They also advise me that the engagement point is about at the half way point and that the gears are a bit notchy, just so you know that I have a Hurst STS in the car so this adds to the notchy feel.

I contacted Spec and verified the engagement point. The Spec tech I spoke to advised me that the gears will be a bit notchy during break in but should smooth out after the 500 mile break in period. Anyhow, I get off the phone and totally forgot to ask about the reverse gear. I called the shop owner and provide him with the information. He proceeds to asked me what about the reverse gear and I tell him that I totally forgot to ask. He asks me for the phone number so he could call Spec himself as he has more experience.

A little while later, I get a call back from the shop owner who tells me that the Spec Techs hung up on him claiming the he installed the clutch backwards. He tells me that he has never been treated so rudely by a tech and that the tech hung up on him. The shop owner tells me he would warranty the work and the slave but not the clutch as I supplied it. So now I new clutch that will not go into reverse when the car is no. In order for it to go into reverse I have to turn the car off and put it in the reverse gear and then turn the car on.
Has anyone else had this similar type of problem? If so, can you tell me what you did to resolve the problem. As is stands right know I plan on re-installing the stock shifter until the break in period is up.

Thanks

Last edited by loots06; 06-21-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

I have a spec 2+ and it will only go in reverse if you put it in 1st gear then reverse.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I will have the shop bleed the hydraulics lines again.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like total bull**** to me. check this scenario: your driving your car, you come to a stop and have to back up for whatever reason. You mean to tell me you have turn your car off to do it..no frigging way man. Get another clutch and another installer, preferably a speed shop that does installs of these clutches all day long. Whats next , install a blower, and make sure you mount a pair of lips....lol
Old 06-16-2010, 04:20 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

My SPEC has been pretty flawless. However, I got the same ****-poor attitude from SPEC's tech department when I called to ask a couple of simple questions during install. I'm a seasoned mechanic, and they treated me like a moron. I will NEVER buy another product from SPEC, and when it comes time to make more power, I will be switching to a McLeod clutch and not looking back.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:48 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

WTF...I took my car back to the shop that did the install and had them bleed the system once again that did not fix the problem. The shop owner recommended that I put the stock shift back in. Great!

Anyhow, I followed his advice and reinstalled the stock shifter. While removing the Hurst shifter I noticed that one of the bolts (top bolt) had backed out about half, this is significate. Well not thinking through I didn't tighten up the bolt and check if I had reverse while the car was on. I hope this was the problem as I know have the stock shifter back in and guess what I have reverse.....

Its the little things that kill me....I'll drive the car in the morning and find out if this was infact the issue.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Spec's customer support and tech assitance is a pile of crap. They are known for being arrogant ****** that always blame the installer for any problem. Out of all the aftermarket clutches installedin our cars, Spec is notorious for having shifting/engagment problems.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You should have gotten an RST.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Simon1
You should have gotten an RST.

I knew this was coming..lol.. Just thought you should know that I drove the car and everything is fine now. My car goes into reverse without any issues and engagement much improved. Pedal pressure is close to stock and yes it does grab like crazy.

As I suspected the top bolt of the Hurst shifter that had backed out about half way seems to have been what caused the problem. This created a slight gap when shifting, down and away, into reverse causing it not to go into gear. This seems to have been more my fault than anyone else’s as I was aware of the bolt coming loose from time to time. I plan on calling the shop and apologizing to them for all the sh1+ I gave them.

I do plan on writing a review as I continue to break in the clutch.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:15 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

You should have got an MGW!

Quick Reply: Clutch help needed..Spec 3+