Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Looking to start modifying my mustang

Old 06-19-2010, 03:40 PM
pennstateengineer

Default Looking to start modifying my mustang

I have a 2006 4.6L GT convertible that’s completely stock and I’m look for some suggestions on what to do. I’m look to upgrade my exhaust, brakes and suspension first.

I was looking at Borola exhaust and I was thinking about this http://www.borla.com/products/produc...rod_sku=140135
I was also wondering about headers with this exhaust system, should I go shorties or long? And any suggestions for them?

Brakes I was want to get bigger rotors that are slotted and better calipers. I’m not looking for 6 piston brembos but I do want better calipers. Any suggestions on those?

Suspension I haven’t researched yet but I don’t like the way the car handles now. The stock suspension has too much body roll and every bump the car is all over the place. Any suggestion for this?

If you have any other ideas I can do to my car, I would appreciate that also. I’m not looking to make my car do 0-60 in 4 seconds....yet, but I do want to make it sound nicer and give it a bit more power. Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Start with a cold air and tune for biggest power gains as far as simple bolt on go. Don't get anything else unless you decide if you're going to stay N/A or supercharge it down the line.
I have the FRPP handling pack and I love it, it's a complete kit shocks, struts, sway bars, strut bar. It increases handling and high speed stability drastically and still retains a very good ride. As for chassis a set lower control arms would be a good idea, I've had a few different sets and the best is C.H.E. and the least expensive, I also have their K-member brace w/ torque limiters and it tightened the car up a lot!
Exhaust is a matter of opinion based on sound you like, being that muffler kits only give 2-3HP the best thing to do is, if you hear a 05+ Mustang you like ask the owner what he/she has.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 AM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

Develop a plan and go from there. E.g. you want 15" wheels for real DRS and your new brake calipers will no longer work. Nothing wrong with the factory brakes that some nice Hawk pads, stainless lines and ATE Blue will not remedy.

As for suspension, LCA with relocation bracket, adjustable pan hard and brace; good coil overs or D-Spec struts and shocks.

Forget the shorty headers, they only add sound. Go LT or go home.

THat should keep you going with a bill of about $3k if you do your own work.