Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

FRPP Powder Coated Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Default FRPP Powder Coated Valve Covers

I'm installing Hot Rod cams in the next few weeks and wanted to do something with the valve covers, but am still undecided between painting them myself, having them powder coated, or buying the powder coated FRPP's. For anyone who has them, are they the exact same valve covers as the stock ones, just powder coated, or is there anything different about them. They seem a little pricey, but it would be nice having a set ready to put on after the cam swap instead of having to coordinate the timing with a powder coater.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I have heard they are the same but I am not CERTAIN.

P.S.
Private message me your full name so I can mention you to Gear Heads.
Also your cell number or something if you want me to call you once they get my car done so you can check it out.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i vote paint them yourself, the frpp powder coats are nice, but
so is a nice paint job.

JDWalton, Siggy and others, have just recently painted them and they look great.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:27 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

There is two different types of valve covers for the three valve maybe more. The later ones had fewer bolts than the early ones. The heads have all the holes for the early ones but the valve covers just don't have place for the bolts to go in. They appear to be interchangeable in any case. The early ones look nicer because of the extra bolts.

I got an extra set of early ones out for powder coating.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I paid $80.00 to have mine blasted and powdercoated. Mine is an '06 GT with the earlier covers and a friend gave me his old covers off of an '08 Bullitt. They fit perfectly. The chrome FRPP one are plastic I've been told but the powder coated ones are metal. I think
the older style would look funny with unused holes, just my .02 worth.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I took mine off and had them powder coated, cost $125 and I had to blast them. It is totally worth it though. Much more durable than simply painting them. I have an 07 in Vista Blue and had the covers done in gold (as early 289s were), the color really sets them off.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Ray
I took mine off and had them powder coated, cost $125 and I had to blast them. It is totally worth it though. Much more durable than simply painting them. I have an 07 in Vista Blue and had the covers done in gold (as early 289s were), the color really sets them off.

I saw someone else on here that did them in the gold with Ford Racing decals on them - looked very good. Do you have any photos Rocket ?
I've talked to a few powder coaters in my area but they all want to keep them for 3 or 4 days, and once I get the cams swapped I'm not going to want to wait to start it up ! That's why I thought it would be nice to order the FRPP's and already have them ready to go on after getting done with the cams. I may just try the spray paint for now and see how it looks.

Thanks for all the opinions.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

OR.. you could pick up a used set of stock covers (eBay or Craigs) and have them painted / coated and ready to install, then sell your old ones to recover the money after the install is done..
Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You guys that have done this need to be posting some pics for the guy...
COME ON!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I painted mine myself. Yes, it is a little work, but well worth it as far as under hood appearence is concerned. It took them off, used scotchbrite pad to clean them up, and then washed them dowm real good with brake cleaner. I shot 2 coats of high temp primer and then 3 coats of red caliper paint on them. I let them dry for a couple of days, then put them back on. I even did the throttle body the same way. Cheap and looks way better than stock. Like I said though, it is a lot of work gettting down in all the nooks and crannys, but just take your time and it will suprise you. I even used the same valve cover gaskets putting it back together.

Quick Reply: FRPP Powder Coated Valve Covers