Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

headers/cams/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dude dont buy anything else until you do loads of research. One exhaust might sound great with stock manifolds but once you add headers it'll be too much and you will need to change it out. Read old threads, use the search button and dont rush into buying anything. It'll save you a lot of money down the road.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The muffler part of the exhaust wont give you any more HP so don't worry about that.
They will just be choice in sound. Let me know what kind of Ford Racing mufflers you have too.

My cams were 1200 but that was WITH install.
The headers and mid pipe of course costed more and the labor to have them was more too.
My horsepower gains were 38HP when I was on the same octane and about 48HP when a 93oct. tune and gas
were used.

This was with the Ford Hot Rod Cams
BBK Long Tube Ceramic Headers
BBK High Flow Catted X Pipe
and of course it was custom tuned.

I also had 4.10 gears put in but this should have made no HP gains at all.
They are a torque multiplier.

If you have the Ford Racing "Stinger" mufflers then both those and the Magnapacks sound good with headers.
If I were you I would get ceramic coated headers too. They hold heat in better than the chrome covered ones.

808 is absolutely right though. Take your time and do research before buying.
Once you decide which MUFFLERS you want to keep and which you want to get rid of let me know. Like I said I am needing a set now and if you have the Ford Stingers then I would buy them OR the magnapacks from you. Either ones I'd be happy with.
So let me know which ford mufflers you have.... and which you are going to get rid of.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-28-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
People have told me the regular magnaflows are even quieter than stock exhaust.
no kidding?? which model is it? I am interested in quieting my exhaust even more so than it is right now... (JBA high heat coated shorties, stock cat-back/mufflers)
Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

From what I have heard through the grapevine they are these...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=3408

I think they come in cat back too.

I had magnapacks once. They were louder than stock but not ALOT louder.
It was a catback system. I sold them.
Now that I have the headers and catted X I would like to have the axle back version
of the magnapacks. Or some Borla or Corsa's.
But hopefully those Bassani's will sound good.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-29-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 AM
gordonjj

Originally Posted by underworld
to be honest i am not sure but my car is alot louder then most and u know the flowmaster 40s its like that but not as loud, i could let u listen to it, i do like the sound of them and i bought the car from a lady whos hubby owned a ford dealer ship so he told me it was just a ford racing exhaust and its fairly throaty at around 2-3200rpm
If it's kinda of flowmaster 40s, It's loud and clear. I like Corsa because it's drone free but just tooo..... expensive.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

don't worry bout the borla's if you have ford racing stingers, you essentialy have borla's...borla makes them for ford