Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Saleen Wheels/Steeda Ultralites

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 AM
f4ifrank
2nd Gear Member

Default Saleen Wheels/Steeda Ultralites

I have some questions and also would like some opinions please.

1) I'm looking at acquiring some Saleen Shelby GT500 20" wheels(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT)staggered, 10's back(50mm offset), 9's up front(30mm offset). The price is $725 plus $125 shipping. I not to familiar with pricing on these wheels and was wondering if this was a decent price? Also, I have a Candy Apple Red ride and wasn't to sure about black wheels, Opinions?

2) When I get the wheels I also want to lower my ride and don't want the ride to be to stiff(she does though , I've done some reading and it looks like the Steeda Ultralites seem to do a good job of keeping the feel somewhat close to stock. Can I install those springs and keep the stock shocks? I'm adding a Roush M90 this week also, and it will probably add about 50lbs to the front end.

Any and all opinions are appreciated. I'm not sure what color to go with on the wheels. I've always been partial to chrome but the black wheels have caught my attention.

Last edited by f4ifrank; 07-11-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

always loved those saleen extreme wheels. gotta keep them chrome imo and have a big brake kit so it just blings through those spokes
Old 07-12-2010, 03:21 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

The Steeda ultras are great but are going to be stiffer than stock. They make the car handle a whole lot better. I like mine but don't have too much to go on since I only been in a stock sprung and a BMR sprung cars.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 PM
gafireman
1st Gear Member

That's not a bad price but if you keep looking you should be able to come across a set with tires already mounted and come out a little better on the price. Also, I am a little biased but ditto on the chrome!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
f4ifrank
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, he's got 'em with tires for $1400, I think. But the tires are Falkens and I haven't read good things about those tires.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:49 AM
gafireman
1st Gear Member

I don't really know much about Falken tires. I actually was planning on getting the Saleen Extreme wheels but then I found a killer deal on a set of used(3k miles) Authentic Saleen 7 spokes with Nitto 555's and went with those instead. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 AM
f4ifrank
2nd Gear Member

Looked at your pic's, those look GREAT!! You're sitting pretty low, do your tires rub? What size wheels are you running?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Nice looking wheels. FWIW most of us use the steeda sport springs not the ultralights. I woudl ge tnew shocks, i'm not sure you will be happy with the ride lowered with stock. Also you will need to repalce those strut mounts on teh front and if you dont do shocks now, you will have to repalce them after the shocks again sice the factory parts are one time use. if you lower you will need either camber bolts or the camber/caster plates that replace the bolts.

I use steeda sport springs, koni yellow shocks, J&M caster plates, and a J&M adjsut able pan hard bar, which I did need to re center the rear. YOu will probably need one too. All told the suspension stuff was about $1100 and i paid $350 for an install at a local shop including an alignment.

As for weight, you ahve the 19" wheel package right? That comes with the strut tower bar and you will remvoe that when the blower goes on. In all honesty I dont think the car gained anyweight or very little if it did. The strut tower bar is at least 40 pounds, that thing is crazy heavy. the box of parts i picked up after my install felt as heavy as the boxes i dropped off.

EDIT: i think sam strano has a lowering kit with teh steeda sports and koni strt shocks for like $600. There is also a thread aroudn ehre somewhere where i mentioned a discount code for american muscle that will save you 10%, but you have to call to place the order. I cant find the mag that had that code in it now.

Last edited by ShaneM; 07-14-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
f4ifrank
2nd Gear Member

Well, I ordered the Steeda Ultralites today. Gus, at Steeda, said they would work with the stock shocks, which I also read on AFM. I also read that it's a crap shoot as to whether you need the pan hard, you really won't know until you lower it. I'm new to this, so I'm just going off what I researched. As far as the camber bolts, I was aware of that, but again, I read that you'll have to see how it aligns once you lower. And those bolts don't cost very much. I appreciate the input, I'm not dissing what you're saying Shane, I'm just trying to get lowered, for as inexpensively as I can right now. BECAUSE, I also ordered some AFS Mach 1 replica wheels, and I'm all spent out right now. The wife has said, "ENOUGH"

It was actually interesting reading, on AFM forum, a post by Squid. That dude seems to know suspensions inside and out. Anyway, I'm definitely not the expert but here's the link http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post1841594

Last edited by f4ifrank; 07-14-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by f4ifrank
Well, I ordered the Steeda Ultralites today. Gus, at Steeda, said they would work with the stock shocks, which I also read on AFM. I also read that it's a crap shoot as to whether you need the pan hard, you really won't know until you lower it. I'm new to this, so I'm just going off what I researched. As far as the camber bolts, I was aware of that, but again, I read that you'll have to see how it aligns once you lower. And those bolts don't cost very much. I appreciate the input, I'm not dissing what you're saying Shane, I'm just trying to get lowered, for as inexpensively as I can right now. BECAUSE, I also ordered some AFS Mach 1 replica wheels, and I'm all spent out right now. The wife has said, "ENOUGH"

It was actually interesting reading, on AFM forum, a post by Squid. That dude seems to know suspensions inside and out. Anyway, I'm definitely not the expert but here's the link http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post1841594

lol, np man good luck.

Quick Reply: Saleen Wheels/Steeda Ultralites