Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

USB-Sync music order question help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Heat00
1st Gear Member

Default USB-Sync music order question help

maybe one of you can answer this, here is my dilema;

I don't have NAV or an IPOD, I have all my music on folders on an 8GB usb/flash drive. music plays fine but one problem:

all of my music is sorted on folders, but there are many folders that have mixed artists/albums etc. when I goto play menu, explore USB (folders), all works great, then I goto an artist/folder and open an album/folder (i'll use pink floyd dark side of the moon as example), when I open that folder/album up, it sorts the music by alphabetical order. It really stinks for albums like this that need to be in order. I've tried puttng numbers in front of each track name and I've even tried letters in front of each track name (A,B,C etc.) but when I open this way it always goes back to the track name in alphabetical order.

anyone know a way around this problem???

yes, I can sort in play menu by album and then when opened it plays in the right track order however with a bunch of folders that have tons of mixed artists/tracks, its way too much to scroll to the right album every time.

any help is much appreciated!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Roufus

I found a way around this problem (5 years later, I know--but others may search for this and find this solution.)

It's going by the 'track name' in the properties of the song file.
It will go by the actual file name (as in ordering it 1,2,3 etc how you want) if the 'track name' is blank under the properties of the files.

So here's what you have to do, in order (on Windows 7--adjust accordingly on other platforms.)
1) Open the file for the album/collection.
2) Click on the first track, then Ctrl+end to select all the songs within.
3) Right-click and select 'properties'
4) Go to the 'details' tab.
5) Select 'Remove Properties and Personal Information' at the bottom.
6) Click 'Remove the following properties from this file' radio button at the top.
7) Check 'Title' box
8) Click 'ok.'
9) Rinse-repeat for every folder/album you've got.

This will get rid of the song name property on all the songs, forcing Sync to order them by the file name.
Stupid we have to do this, but what can ya do?

Note: If you come up with some kind of error while it attempts to delete this name property, it means that that/those file/s didn't have that field filled out. Skip those.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:02 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I know it's an old thread, but yes, SYNC indexes music files based on the "tag" information stored in each file. it more or less ignores the actual file and folder names.